Categorized | Editorial

A Chaster’s Experience in Las Vegas October 2011

A Chaster’s Experience in Las Vegas October 2011

It was a crisp early Thursday morning, the 29th of September 2011, when I left YYZ (Pearson Toronto Intl Airport) to fly to Las Vegas not only to watch Charice sing at the David Foster and Friends Concert; but to meet with other chasters. I arrived at the McCarran Airport (LAS) at 11AM to hot dry weather towering the 90’s. I almost fainted while waiting for a shuttle to take me to the ORLEANS Hotel – where a good chaster-benefactor awaited me at the lobby. I was the earliest chaster to arrive in town, per Aloha-Sailor’s roster of Chasters-coming-to-Vegas-to-watch-DFF.

Evening of Thursday: while trying my luck at the nickel-slots, a miracle did happen. No I didn’t win, LOL! It was my kumare [close female friend] whom I haven’t seen for 23 years and she won a jackpot! She offered me to join her to the Grand Canyons on her own expense, so we could bond more. Isn’t that wonderful?

Friday the 30th, off I toured the Grand Canyons; at the same time that Aloha Sailor flew in from Seattle. He said he was hoping to barge into my hotel room; but I was not answering my hotel phone, well because I was like 250 miles away. Chasters were one by one arriving in the Entertainment Capital of the World.

Early morning Saturday, first day of October, I was down at the Orleans coffee shop for breakfast and free WIFI connections. A lady came up to me and asked, ARE YOU LOLA ELREM? She was a New York chaster! Then a group of L.A. chasters approached me, ARE YOU LOLA ELREM? And much later two ladies who claimed to be from Ohio looked at my face and asked – ARE YOU LOLA ELREM? and my reply was, how did you know it was me? And their usual answer was “BECAUSE WE RECOGNIZED YOUR FACE”. OMC .. I am famous here in Las Vegas :zap: (And mind you, each group that came up to me fed me. That was nice! J )

Thanks to the postings of Deadly Sweet on dates and venues of the Chaster meetings in Las Vegas, chasters were well informed.

First CHASTER meeting, the Raffles coffee shop at the Mandalay Bay hotel, from 3:00 to 6:00 P.M.
I warily walked into that eating crowd of seemingly chaster-looking-people; slowly I did just to make sure I am coming to the right group and not into total strangers. And even before I had figured out who was whom, these chaster-looking-people cheered – LOLA ELREM! LOLA ELREM! And a young man who looked like UCLA-JAY welcomed me with open arms and an ear to ear smile. OMC I didn’t even have the chance to introduce myself and they know me already?? :zap:

A gracious host that he was, UCLA-JAY named the chasters : TE33 of Hawaii, Sideburner Sol of LA, gussy, the L.A. girls who adopted me at the Orleans; FOGH of Denmark, ALOHA-SAILOR, EDDIE formerly of LA, EBJ of Minnesota, ATE-FE of Nevada; JAZZY of LA; this pretty Thai chaster whose name I couldn’t recall; Christine-Di of LA; Ruby of NY who saw me at the Orleans Coffee Shop; Penny of Ohio; the ever-present Angelia of RI opkors who else; NYChaster, Sweete, Doc Ed, Arz Bayani; and the big surprise of all — the pretty ABBonita who flew in from PI!!!!

From that gathering, we trooped into the Concert Arena. Sir David Foster as usual started narrating his musical life; first introducing Kenny Loggins. Then he broke protocol by calling in whom else but our dear princess Charice. My heart leaped when Cha walked in and began singing the Power of Love by Celine. She treated the song differently and I admired the way she wove into the song; then my tears started welling.. oh my Lord my Charice is serenading me again. Cha followed it with Toni Braxton’s UN-BREAK MY HEART. David Foster explained that it was the first time Charice sang the song and called her once again a laser beam. Then Bruno Mars’ BEFORE IT EXPLODES; and ended it up with Michael Jackson’s EARTH SONG. Her finale was so powerfully sang; I was welling in tears again!

Charice had to sing earlier in the show because she had to fly to Japan, yes to the other side of the globe where she came from a day ago. Wow! I am almost tempted to think that Charice is not human LOL! What ordinary human being, much more a little girl (yeah, DF and Oprah call her THE LITTLE GIRL), that petite girl to render a flawless performance with such power and emotion – live; after flying 20 hours from the other side of the globe. Who else? No one else but our special girl, that GIFT FROM GOD, our dear Charmaine Clarice Relucio Pempengco.

The programme ended quickly, as I thought it did, because all that mattered to me was Charice. I am so biased, but indeed because no other singer has that kind of magnetic charm enough to uproot me from the comforts of Toronto and fly me into hot Las Vegas just to watch her perform. No one, and nobody else except Charice.

After the concert, the happy chasters transferred to the California hotel where we had the oxtail soup a.k.a. bulalo. Yes Virginia, we had the graveyard menu so called BULALO at midnightime. It was fun teaching the non-pinoys how to pronounce BULALO the Filipino way. More chasters joined us, Anthony and his group from Utah, Starbucks and his wife; and our beloved DJ-DRAKE!! We were one bunch of noisy ever-hungry chasters exchanging opinions of how the concert went.

We broke ranks at past 2A.M.. Eddie of now Bay Area, was very gentlemanly driving some of us back to our respective hotels, especially lola.

Sunday the 2nd, the chasters once again met at the Asian Buffet for lunch. Yes again Virginia, another eating-meeting for chasters and lotsa picture taking! LDMovies and his wife finally made it to the gathering. Some members were flying back to their respective nests hours from there but we just couldn’t bear separating ways. Our love for Charice had forged our friendship, and nothing can take us away from loving her the way we do.

For all chasters out there who were not able to join us — you were with us in spirits. I hope this little narrative of mine would give you an idea what a happy meeting we had in that little town that literally never sleeps, that desert city called LAS VEGAS.

By LolaElrem, Charicemania.com

46 Responses to “A Chaster’s Experience in Las Vegas October 2011”

1. erring early says:

lola Elrem is already a legend in chaster world :)
    we who couldn’t be there are truly with you in spirit

2. EBJohns11 says:
    Thats a lovely story Lola Elrem, Im glad i finally met you. I was surprised that u were there esp AB Bonita. Im sure shes having FUN right now in LA. They are making me jealous. Im not gonna be able to go on NOv. 25, I am going to the Chasters gathering ( X-mas gathering ) in LA!! Looking forward on that.

• Kathy says:

Yay…EBJ I’m looking forward to see you on our X-mas gathering. Im pretty sure any chasters are welcome to come and join us too. It was great seeing you on Oct 1st. I also miss you too hehe…

3. jimfan155 says:
    Hi Lola,

More great memories, for you of our angel. I know we waited a long time for someone this great to come along, but it was well worth the wait. I can recall when we met in NY at MSG and you were able to give Charice a big kiss and hug in the rain.

For my fellow Chasters who have not yet had the pleasure of meeting lola, she is one energetic firecracker who seems to be getting younger and younger. I truly believe this is a Charice trait that gives us vitality and she, for me is a fountain of youth.

Lola – keep living life to the fullest and hopefully, down the road we will be able to meet again.

4. chit says:
    God bless you Lola Elrem and Chasters for your love of Charice.

5. idolming says:
    I’m hoping one day ill meet you too personally Lola Elrem! A million thanks for sharing this wonderful experience!

6. justcharrie says:
    Lola elrem thanks for your story. I don’t think not a single chaster doesn’t know you. Labyo!

7. YongCha says:
    How magnetic the voice of our Dear Charice to bring all kinds of people regardless of gender, race, age just to be in one supporting her. Thanks Lola Elrem for sharing us this wonderful experience of yours with fellow Chasters. :)

8. Anthony says:
    I had a great time and it was great to finally meet Chasters from around the world! The concert was was great and on top of that, I got to meet Lola Elrem, Ab Bonita, DeeJay, and Fogh! What a delight! Thanks you guys!

9. Mharice says:
    It’s my 2nd time to read this after last night and … my tears dropped
    again after reading this ! whattda ?! … how sweet and loving … kudos to dear Charice for making things happen like these …
    Thanks mucho Chalola ! Wished I was there ! :)
    Hope to see you soon and all the nice Chasters out there ,woohoo !!!

• Mharice says:
      Yup , Charice make things happen like these …as they say :
      @zen58 – ” Yes it’s only Cha who has the magnetic force that binds us regardless of race,genra,age,beliefs and etc. as what DF and Oprah said, “A force to reckon with” …
      @ Rodbelt – ” It goes to show that Charice does not only bring joy to many. Through her music and unchanging down-to-earth persona, she promotes love, camaraderie, bringing together and binding total strangers in various walks of life.”…
      @ anniefound – “This is so neat, how we could all be in one page because of Charice ”
      @ Sydney – “Reading Lola Elrem’s savoir faire experience with Charice’s sui generis touch to bring all kinds of ethnicity together…”
      @ NYChaster – “Nobody can bring people of different ages and ethnicity together the way Charice can…”
      @ big dog – “Call it Chasters, call it Chaketeers, call it a clan, and call it fanatics: Whatever you call it…It’s like family that Charice brought us together….”

Quiet Chamazing !!! , isn’t it ?! :)

10. jn says:
    Thank you for sharing your “momentos”in Las Vegas, the DFF show with our very own Charice and your bonding time with other chasters around the globe. You transported me, as if I was there in Las Vegas. It was really admirable the “support” (and of course that goes to the rest) who really went all the way to see the show.

Nice and quite inspiring post. thanks again Chalola!

11. tnt says:
    Thanks a lot lola Elrem, you are as cute as Cutie (Where is she now?) lol…Im just happy for you

12. Lisbon says:
    I enjoyed reading your post lola. :) It was indeed a very wonderful experience. And, OMC!!! ABBonita was really there? Miss you guys… I looked forward to meet PH Chasters this coming Oct 25th.

13. Dindo says:
    thank you lola Elrem for sharing your story. :D

14. romeo says:
    I may not have the same opportunity you had LOLA ELREM but your detailed and emotional story is enough for me to feel the great experience you had. I really hope and pray that I will have the chance not only to meet all the great and loyal chasters but most especially our beloved Charice. Thanks again LOLA ELREM and God bless

15. Zorro says:

16. RodBelt says:
    A very nice story indeed, LolaElrem. It goes to show that Charice does not only bring joy to many. Through her music and unchanging down-to-earth persona, she promotes love, camaraderie, bringing together and binding total strangers in various walks of life. I wonder how many entertainers out there can add such thing to their resume.

• Narita says:
      Nice indeed Rodbelt! Thanks Lola Elrem, and thanks also for taking care of our very own Ab Bonita. :)

• lola-elrem says:
        actually, it was AB Bonita who took care of me LOL. in fact she gave me a beautiful memento, isnt that nice?

17. anniefound says:
    This is so neat, how we could all be in one page because of Charice. Lola Elrem, thanks transporting us to Las Vegas through your narrastives, enjoyed every bit of it. And now, you have become “chalola elrem”. Next time, the chasters might find themselves chistened the same way, with “cha…..” before each first name. Not bad, not bad at all.

To @sydney that was a very noble and brilliant idea, why not. As long as you be the host when we reach Australia:D. You guys are so sweet and full of fun. Charice is so blessed with every chaster who loves her unconditionally. Hope to meet some of you next month (Nov.25th), can hardly wait. Cheers to all Chasters worldwide!

18. justjames says:
    Congratulations Lola Elrem. Someday, I will meet you too like I met some Chasters in Vegas during the KLUC 98.5 summer blcok party. Thanks for loving and following our Charice. If you want a email-pal my email is janobersar@hotmail.com. I am Lolopapajames.

19. Streetcred says:
    thanks for sharing, LOLA!!! Lover every bit of your story :))

20. Woodpa says:
    Great job, Elrem.

21. Marie says:
    Thanks for sharing Lola. It seems that I’m one of the families exile in a far away land…contented & glad to hear good news & happenings of the other family members. When will be my time to see Charice & Chasters too? Hopefully very soon! My Q&A, sigh…

22. Yobhtron says:
    Thanks for sharing your experience Lola.

23. Sydney says:
    I’m a masterful Sydnesider lurker here in charicemania but needless to say an absolute fan of Charice. Reading Lola Elrem’s savoir faire experience with Charice’s sui generis touch to bring all kinds of ethnicity together brings up an idea to me that I thought the admin here might consider.

To call all chasters around the globe and meet up in each country’s iconic tourist spot (e.g. Sydney- Opera House, Paris- Eiffel Tower etc..) not photoshop but the real thing! And shout our love for charice.Pack all these in a video and give it to charice! .. I think it’s the coolest thing to do.It doesn’t matter how many or less we are in numbers,but the fact that Charice has indeed broken the barrier of race,age,ethnicity ..She is infact way ahead of her time..( ..as DF concurs for MJ)

imagine all these countries coming together for one reason : Charice. it’s gonna be a blast!

So, admin..if ur reading this…how about ?

Just sayin..All for Charice!

24. h3nr1_x -- Los Angeles CA says:
    Super Lola is so famous around the World

25. zen58 says:
    Hello Lola and fellow Chasters,It was so nice to meet you and all other Chasters at the Las Vegas Experience, I’ll surely cherrish that moment. Yes it’s only Cha who has the magnetic force that binds us regardless of race,genra,age,beliefs and etc. as what DF and Oprah said, “A force to reckon with” Love u all and Cha we chasters will always be there for you,take care.God bless everyone.

26. camo says:
    lola you rock your kids and grandkids treated you well .stay young at heart lola.<3

27. marlyn says:
    Oh! I regret i did not met you , Lola Elrem; i know you too from your post and comments and by reading the notes in the chat room ; i was in the group of Alex/ Vita and we were there too @ California Hotel eating the oxtail soup (bulalo) that was so good.We came by in your group ,met Sideburner sol and talked to him for a little bit ; nice meeting some Chasters including a.b.bonita .Maybe next time we can meet you too.You had a nice experience in Vegas; i was by myself from San Jose and just joined Maria Fe and husband in Vegas ; i arrived that afternoon of the concert and was back the next day just to watch Charice.

28. NYChaster says:
    I’m glad I was able to be part of this experience and meet so many wonderful Chasters there. Nobody can bring people of different ages and ethnicity together the way Charice can. Can’t wait for Nov 25th. Hope there will be just as many…if not…more Chasters then last time. Thanks for the beautiful write up Lola. You’re such a sweetheart! =) Charice & Chasters forever #1. <333

29. khatman says:
    Nice blog, Chalola. I was in Vegas a couple of years ago but just to eat and sleep, not to gamble. I think DF meant it was the first time Charice ever sang “Unbreak My Heart” for him. She did sing it a couple of years ago on a Filipino talent show.

30. big dog says:

Very loving and inspiring story Chalola…Hope to meet you in person soon! Your positive attitude in life is just truly motivational!