Categorized | Glee, USA

Charice on Her ‘Glee’ Guest Role

Charice on Her ‘Glee’ Guest Role

Sunshine Corazon, aka Charice, made her first appearance as an exchange student on last week’s episode of “Glee.” Her throaty arrangements immediately served as foil to Rachel’s Broadway-ish song stylings –- and prompted a musical catfight that will no doubt extend the rest of the season (until, in true “Full House” style, Sunshine and Rachel make up, become best friends and battle evil with high notes). Charice, the 18-year-old belter who has earned comparisons to Whitney Houston and Celine Dion, was discovered on YouTube and then featured on “Ellen” and Oprah.” Speakeasy caught up with her to chat about Sunshine’s arc for the season.

The Wall Street Journal: How did you end up on the show?

Charice: I auditioned about three months ago. I said to my mom, “why don’t we try to audition for ‘Glee’?” We went to see [co-creators] Ryan [Murphy] and Brad [Falchuk] and I sang for them. After weeks, I found out that I was part of the show through Twitter. I didn’t believe it at first, but the next minute I got an email saying I got the role.

Are you featured in tonight’s episode? How much of Sunshine’s story line do you know already?

Charice: I’m not in the Britney episode, and I’m not in the Rocky Horror episode. I might be in episode four or five. They gave me the script for the first episode so far but they haven’t given me the rest.

Do you think Sunshine will be only Rachel’s rival? Or could she take on Mercedes as well?

Charice: Mercedes is really great – I could be her rival too.

If you got to choose Sunshine’s invariable love interest, would you pick Other Asian, Puck or Finn?

Charice: Actually, I kinda like Artie. Sunshine’s character is a bit nerdy, so I think they would be cute together.

You’ve covered Whitney Houston, Celine Dion and Jennifer Holliday. Are there any artists you’d like to cover on the show?

Charice: Sunshine would love to dance. I would love to try a Michael Jackson song. I also haven’t covered any Christina Aguilera, but I love her.

Tell Ryan Murphy to write you a pensive moment so you can sing “Reflection” from Mulan.

Charice: [Laughing] I’ll have to see how the story goes.

You’ve sung with Lea Salonga before. Do you get lots of comparisons to her?

Charice: We’ve worked together before in the Philippines, but no one can be her. She’s a professional and I’m just starting out. I’d sing with her again, but it would be a bit challenging because she’s more Broadway and I’m more of a pop singer.

How much of Sunshine’s wardrobe would we be able to find in your own closet?

Charice: Her wardrobe is exactly what I wear everyday. When I saw it, I said, “Oh my goodness, it’s Charice.”

Is it true you’ve never had voice lessons?

Charice: Just this year, I got my first ever voice lesson. But way back before I never had one.

John Stamos debuts as a love interest for Emma on tonight’s show. Are there any other actors or artists you’d love to see cameo?

Charice: I would love to see Justin Timberlake come on the show because he’s hot. I met him last year and I was right in front of him, but Jessica Biel was there so it was not my night.

By Julie Steinberg, The Wall Street Journal

“Glee” Archive — more from Sunshine Corazon

66 Responses to “Charice on Her ‘Glee’ Guest Role”

1. Jezet says:

Fly n Dance. Do your research very well. Charice was a third placer on LBS competition. Make your facts right.

Would love to see more Charice’s appearances on Glee.

• grace says:
      Fly n Dance is right. The winner is the first placer, then 1st runner up – the 2nd placer. Then the third placer is a second runner up. PEACE, got this misunderstnading too.

2. miasushi says:
    Is it true that Charice will be in 10 more episodes of glee season2 after the 7th episode?

3. jimfan155 says:
    Watched my dvr replay of Episode 2 of GLEE knowing Charice would not be in it. I don’t know if I’m really old now, but I did not enjoy the show anywhere near as I did Episode 1. I am happy Charice was not in this one, as I think it was too risqué for high school students to be shown like this. Much too sexy and to much girating for me. They should take the script and “use it as toilet paper”. “Not cool”.

Am I being a “prude” and overreacting?

4. lee says:
    guys charice was just a guest star… shes not totally part of the show…. im so sad for that coz i realy love charice… and i really want her to be permanent on the show..

5. Try this link .Beautiful.

Charice Wowowee Tribute To Michael Jacson

6. Jeno says:
    I love you Charice!!
    Congrats on your all success :)

this is me singing the song “Sweet dream and Dangerously in love” by Beyonce Knowles

please comment, hope u guys like this (:

7. Fly N Dance says:
    Got this blog from somewhere:

First, I must admit that I am a secret admirer of Charice Pempengco since her days as a contestant in Little Big Star, a locally produced singing talent show produced by ABS-CBN. I was one of those who silently disagreed when she only placed second runner-up in that competition when I was rooting for her to win. I think she was only 14 then but she already had a big voice. She could hit her high notes with ease. Clearly, she has the talent.

However, there are many other people around the block who could sing just as good. So what set her apart? In my opinion, what made her stand out was her showmanship which she made apparent even in her amateur days. This alone made her distinct among other contestants of Little big Star. She created her own style, what with her mic-tossing or foot-stomping act. That truly set her apart.

How did Lady Gaga, the late Michael Jackson or Madonna make it so big in the music industry? They all have (had) a way of endearing the crowd. Charice could also do that effortlessly. She exuded confidence whenever she goes up a stage to perform. It was really very evident even in her Little Big Star days. Part of Charice’s charm can also be her diminutive stature. It is a big wonder especially to Caucasians how such a small lady can belt out Celine Dion songs.

Flash forward to 2010 and we now see Charice as the biggest international star of Filipinos in their generation. I have seen her youtube video that became her ticket to the Ellen Degeneres Show. I have seen how she roused the crowd to their feet when she sang for the Ellen Show. I have seen how her performance brought tears to Oprah Winfrey’s eyes. Her debut album is a hit in many countries including the United States, Canada, Japan, Thailand, and of course the Philippines. And now, I witnessed how Filipinos from around the world waited gleefully for her appearance on the second season of the popular American sitcom, Glee. She has definitely gone places, and she’s gone really far.

Charice is on a roll and she draws strength from her humble beginnings. It is probably the best thing about her. She keeps her feet on the ground while she continues to soar high. She could hardly speak spontaneous English when she was first interviewed by Ellen Degeneres. She took speech lessons (and still is taking speech lessons), and look at her now rubbing elbows with big names like Oprah, Justin Bieber, and Lea Michele. I listen to her interviews now and she can converse well in English, with a good sense of humor to boot.

I heard a few belittling Charice’s success but I believe that she has what it takes to make it big someday. To some, being on Glee may not be a big deal. However, as a Filipino, and seeing how local entertainers find it difficult to penetrate the international scene, being a part of Glee is a big feat. It brings recognition not only to Charice’s talent but also to the whole Philippines. I hope Charice takes an acting workshop too to be more versatile.

On the other side of the coin though, there is a possibility too that acting opportunities for Charice (like in Glee) could be limited by her conservative ways. When Lea Salonga was her age (18 years old), Lea already did kissing scenes for Miss Saigon.

• Perry pc says:
      What makes Charice different? You can feel her songs, any song.
      Watch her Moment in Time in Dr. Phil’s 60th birthday celebration, Run to You at the Little Big Star when she was 12 years old (watch one of the judges reaction in the background when she had goosebumps), and all of her other songs.

8. Spawn says:
    Hi Guys,

I juz happen to see an article about Glee this mornin’ here in the office(local PI time) when I checked out a news website and I was able to extract some lines pertaining to our Princess’ role in the upcoming episodes. It says : Charice has already shot some scenes where she sang ballads, including hits by Celine Dion. We’ll see more of the Filipina in later episodes
    , especially in the Vocal Adrenaline-New Directions choir battles.

Hehehe. I’m really looking forward to see this happen, to check out Rachelle’s reaction.! :) Let’s see who’s gonna get floored first! (Evil Laugh) LOL ;)

Anyways here’s the complete link for the article (Sorry guys, it’s kinda long one for you to read but it’s worth it!):

9. Ate Lina says:
    I am a fan of Glee before Charice’s inclusion on the show. I love music so I am a fan of any musical movies with the likes of CHICAGO, MOULIN ROUGE, THE PRODUCER, MAMA MIA, PHANTOM OF THE OPERA, THE SOUND OF MUSIC, GREASE, HAIRSPRAY etc. I was so ecstatic when I learned that Charice would be in Glee. Besides movies I also have watched in the theater stage MAMA MIA & PHANTOM OF THE OPERA. For me, as much as I love Charice very much I would watch Glee every episode and see how will the story leads to where she will re-appear again (most probably on epi #7?) which I learned from the articles she is shooting right now. Let us continue to watch Glee and support the show that Charice also loves very much.

10. justcharrie says:
    If Charice will get to cover a Christina Aguilerra song, I’d love for her to do “I Turn To You”, my fav CA song. Hope Ryan Murphy reads this interview and give Charice an MJ number for her to be able to show off her dancing skill. I believe she can also shine on an MJ tribute. But 7th episode is a long wait I think for us who’ve began watching Glee because of Cha’s presence. That’ll be on November if I’m right. Whew that’s a torture!

• hermiemel says:
      Yes. It is probably for Charice’s benefit that she is not in every episode of Glee so as to “built up excitement” for her big return. Ryan who love Charice at first sight, will bring her back at the right time.

Like you said, if Ryan allows Charice to do MJ’s Billie Jean, then this whole waiting (torture) will be worth it. Anybody who’ll do MJ will be noticed by America and the whole world. And if Charice do MJ on Glee then the floodgates will open for Charice’s & Glee’s popularity.

Remember the Carousel of Hope performance at Beverly Hills (Hollywood crowd) at age 16 where she performed, And I’m Not Going, I Will Survive and Billie Jean? She even followed the performance of Denzel Washington and his wife. Charice was fresh, young and moves way too good it was amazing. The crowd loves her and stood up with their ovations.

David says this of Charice’s performance, “he’s going home to “beat his kids” you cannot do this to me. Jay Leno says he’s 58 and “I’m so impress” he has to go to the Philippines as there might be a “comic” there. And poor Josh Groban says “I can’t believe I’m following this” and heared somebody shout “dead man walking” in the hallways. Ha.ha..ha…

• Perry pc says:

I am not a Glee fan and would only love to watch it when Charice is on it. I hope someone can tell us when Charice will on the show.

11. krazyforyou says:
    I saw a picture of Charice on USWeekly issue with Britney Spears on the cover because of BSpears theme of Glee. And I also saw a picture of Charice in Rollingstone Magazine with President Obama on the cover. Our girl is breaking new grounds slowly but surely. I love you Charice!!! Keep up the hard working girl attitude. God bless you.

Wish she has her own regular (not only seasonal) tv musical-drama-comedy show. Wow! that would be awesome.

13. YYYY says:
    It would be awesome if she sings Reflection!

14. CrazyForCharice says:
    I watched the Glee’s 2nd episode last night with the hope of getting a glimpse of Sunshine Corazon. No Sunshine – so disppointed.

15. ruhla says:
    According to, Charice will be back in episode 7 of Glee. That sucks!