Categorized | International, News

Cover Story: Charice Set to Soar

Cover Story: Charice Set to Soar

12 Responses to “Cover Story: Charice Set to Soar”

1. bld9696 says:
    Of all of the wonderful pictures of Charice out there, the one at the top of this article is still my favorite. It really shows her natural, youthful beauty. Beautiful girl (or I guess I should say woman now) with the greatest voice in the world. Keep it going all the way to the top, Charice.

2. ArrVee says:
    @jimFan155 – I am Filipino, but when I saw the Hitman, Star King and Celine duet videos, though I felt some national pride for her, I sensed with the enormity of her talent and its inexplicable impact on us, that she transcended national and cultural boundaries. Hers is the all-too-familiar and universal narrative of the underdog that we identify with and root for, albeit armed with an other-worldly talent, something we normally associate with fairy tales. Like the Star King judge said that she made the stage look small, her talent is too big for our artificial boundaries, be they national, cultural or even faith-based.

And I am not really surprised by the naysayers who continue to ply their trade, because that narrative of her as an underdog continues in more ways than apparent to us, including breaking in into heretofore uncharted territories in the entertainment industry. But we know she will eventually overcome these with her solid talent and character, and her narrative will have served its purpose of inspiring all of us, who will be rooting for her all the way.

3. jimfan155 says:
    Being Chinese, I am proud that Charice is Asian. But truth be told, I was blown away by her talent and stage presence when I saw the Star King performance. The fact that she was Filipino really didn’t factor into it for me. She could have been from anywhere, been any color and if I saw that performance my opinion would have been the same – I may have just witnessed the greatest entertainer I have ever seen in my life.

Then following up watching all her videos and reading some of the comments, I was not too happy to learn of the crab mentality from some of her fellow countrymen. In addition, her being successful does not necessarily mean the doors will automatically open for Asians and Filipinos. Of course it will help but you have to have the talent and charisma to pull it off. I have waited 60 years to see an entertainer like Charice, so to say I will feel the same way about the next Asian star – I don’t know. I would compare he/she to Charice and that type of comparison would not really be fair, but maybe unavoidable. I fear the crab mentality would surface again for the next one.

But for me it comes down to talent and star quality. If you have the “X” factor, people will recognize it and hopefully you wil get a fair shot at making it.

4. artemis gibran says:
    The BEST FEMALE VOACLIST of this generation is an ASIAN. The BEST LIVE PERFORMER in the world today is an ASIAN!

CHARICE will open many gates for many people. Lets be inspired by her examples!

Love you girl! God bless!

5. rant says:
    GLOBAL MUSIC IS DOMINATED BY BLACK AND WHITE AMERICANS AND EUROPEANS. ITS ABOUT TIME SOMEBODY FROM ASIA TO SHINE AND LET US START AND SUPPORT CHARICE ALL THE WAY TO THE TOP BABY.BUY HER ALBUM IS ONE WAY TO BE A PART AND SUPPORTING HER. THIS IS THE FIRST TIME AND ALL ASIANS MUST SUPPORT HER.

6. denb3ar says:
    Hello world! Asian songstress will soar high and hopefully will open the gates to other Asian talents.

7. luvkcha09 says:
    go ASIA, put your all-out support to Charice.Let us make Charice the breakthough GLOBAL SUPERSTAR. I t will be good for all Asian singers coz, Asians will be noticed more around the world. It is about time the Asian talent to be recognized around the world. Let us start with Charice. Buy her CD`S and help stop piracy.

8. flowjam21 says:
    We Malaysian very thankful because the album release on that day of May 11th,although its very late an hour….but it’s Ok,coz is worth to waith…all the song in the album is really pretty much impressive for the self titled debut.Hope u guys,there in Singapore already had that album….5 star and A+++ Rating for the Album of Charice….Can’t wait for the next album,heheheh

9. tyramaid says:
    her album is not selling here in singapore!!!

er, i mean, not available at this time, lol.

singapore is waiting for your album, everybody here are crazy for you.
    hmv, a famous record store here said that a lot of people are awaiting your cd. the guy i spoke to said there are a lot of filipinos, and foreigners alike who’s been asking about the availability of your album.

shipment of the cd’s was delayed. alamak!!!!

• Capofret says:

im also here in singapore. they said it will be out May 17 which is still tentative..i also dont get it why in malaysia they have it when singapore is just an hour away from malaysia..hmm..anyway, it’s still worth the wait…good thing i have patience lol.

10. tsuki says:
    Charice!!! Congratulations. When are you going to Tokyo?

• lola-elrem says:
      hi tsuki, marc johnston announced today, may 15th, that charice will sing in tokyo on june 2010, so wait around!