Categorized | Announcements, Philippines

Charice in Valentine Concert

Charice in Valentine Concert

Teen singing sensation Charice Pempengco will showcase her acclaimed musical prowess that made her an international star when she celebrates the season of love during a Valentine’s Day concert on Feb. 14 at the Plenary Hall of the Philippine International Convention Center in Pasay City.

Billed as Charice in Concert! by Ryan Cayabyab the one-night musical event to be mounted by Xclusive Hits & Events, Inc. will also feature Erik Santos, George Yang and the Ryan Cayabyab Singers, with the special participation of Ogie Alcasid.

Directed by Ryan Cayabyab, the concert will feature the extraordinary talent and style of the 17-year old singing wonder as she performs a breathtaking repertoire of pop, R&B and soul hits popularized by Whitney Houston, Celine Dion and Mariah Carey, among many others.

A product of numerous singing competitions since age seven, Charice gained worldwide attention in 2007 after videos of her live performances were posted on the YouTube until they caught the attention of Ellen DeGeneres, who invited her to appear in the Dec.19, 2007 episode of her show.

Charice became an instant hit with her performance of “I Will Always Love You” and “And I Am Telling You I’m Not Going.”

Five months later, she appeared in the May 12, 2008 edition of The Oprah Winfrey Show, where her performance of Whitney Houston’s “I Have Nothing” greatly impressed Oprah that she subsequently recommended Charice to be under the wings of music producer David Foster.

Her association with Foster marked a major turning point in Charice’s career and opened new doors to more and bigger opportunities in the international music and entertainment industry.

She performed with Foster for the first time during the May 17 opening of MGM Grand at Foxwoods Resort Casino in Ledyard, Connecticut, followed by her debut on the international concert stage in Foster’s May 23 tribute concert, Hitman: David Foster and Friends, at the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino in Las Vegas, where she performed a medley of songs from “The Bodyguard” and her standard, “And I Am Telling You I’m Not Going.”

Charice also went on to perform with Andrea Bocelli during her birthday concert on Sept. 26, 2008 in his hometown of Lajatico, Tuscany, Italy, where, aside from her solo numbers, she also did a duet of “The Prayer” with the famous tenor in front of more than 8,000 people.

She also sang a duet of “Because You Loved Me” with Celine Dion on Sept. 15, 2008 at the Madison Square Garden in New York City, which earned rave reviews in The New York Post and The New York Times. The performance was eventually featured on the Sept. 19, 2008 episode of The Oprah Winfrey Show.

She made her second appearance on The Oprah Winfrey Show on Sept. 9, 2008, during which the celebrated host described her at “the most talented girl in the world” after hearing her perform Celine Dion’s “My Heart Will Go On” with Foster on the piano.

During her most recent appearance on the same program, Charice elicited the ultimate tribute from Oprah: “You are a force to be reckoned with. That voice comes from something bigger than yourself. You’re pulling it up out of some place deeper than your little body.”

The singer’s outstanding vocal quality—which has been compared with those of Whitney Houston and Celine Dion (she also considers Mariah Carey and Regine Velasquez as her other musical influences)—likewise prompted a chorus of praises from other musical and entertainment celebrities, such as David Foster and Josh Groban

She also received a compliment from The New York Post, which once called her a vocal prodigy for being able to sing “big songs” even in her tender age.

Last year, Charice, who spent a great part of it in America, recorded her debut US album, performed in the David Foster and Friends 10-city North American tour, and appeared in her first feature film, Alvin and the Chipmunks 2: The Squeakquel.

In the movie, which was recently shown in Philippine theaters, Charice appeared as herself and is a part of the official film soundtrack with her performance of Alicia Keys’ “No One.”

As 2009 was about to end, the singer added another feather to her cap when she topped an online poll by the Oprah Winfrey show, beating seven international singing superstars: Whitney Houston, James Taylor, Michael Buble, Rascal Flatts, Jennifer Hudson, Journey and Black Eyed Peas.

Charice was picked as the winner of the Best Oprah Show Musical Performance award, receiving 70 percent of total votes for her performance of “Note To God,” her debut international single that was launched on the show last May 18.

Her coming Valentine show brings back the singing star to the local concert scene eight months after her first major solo concert last June 27 at the SMX Convention Center at the SM Mall of Asia in Pasay City.

The concert is presented by Face&Figure Center Manila, with Magnolia Fresh Milk and Magnolia Low Fat Milk as major sponsor. Smart Communication is a minor sponsor.

Tickets to Charice In Concert! by Ryan Cayabyab are priced at P5,808, P5,492, P5,069, P4,541, P4,013, P2,957, P1,901 and P845 and are available at Ticketnet outlets located at all SM Department Stores (customer service area) and at the Araneta Coliseum ticket booths. For inquiries and reservations, call 911-5555. Tickets are also available at Xclusive Hits & Events, Inc. at (0917) 8121537.

Source: Manila Standard Today

34 Responses to “Charice in Valentine Concert”

1. CutieSinger23 says:

haa…. i missed :(

2. TOPGUN says:
    To Lolo JP….

I wasn’t able to reply to your very kind comments on the other write-up because ‘comments were closed’. Nonetheless, thank you sir…you are most kind!

If anything, you can be my ‘wing man’..or I can be yours. I am sure we will not run out of gunners from our friends here at charicemania.com..hahahahaha!

LABYO…

3. gracy says:
    yes a dvd wud b perfect! i wish theyl hav a stage and effects just like oi canto. wudnt dat b awesome?

4. tonz says:
    I’d go for a Charice music video DVD for her Valentines concert. Hopefully Mr.Ryan C. would go for it too. I firmly believe it’ll sell like hotcakes when distributed worldwide. Chasters, let’s influence Mr. Ryan C. to do it. Thanks

5. odie052 says:
    I got this chance of seeing Charice perform live twice. First on SMX The Journey Begins and the other at Shangrila Plaza where I met and greeted the Princess eyeball to eyeball. OMG! it was terrible, my whole body was trembling and my heart pounding intensely while I am giving her a handshake and it was like a heavenly touch. Exactly different and the opposite while I am infront of my nagging wife. But thanks to her very understanding attitude asking me if I wanted to go at Charice Valentines Concert. How sweet, very caring and loving of her, ALL EXPENSES PAID. LOL

6. tonz says:
    Guys, Gals and all Chasters.

Why don’t we all band together and bombard Mr. Ryan C. with emails requesting that this Charice Valentine concert be produce also as music video on a DVD. He just might get overwhelm with all that email messages from us and he just might grant our request. I am quite sure this will make money for our princess and the producer as well, Mr.Ryan C. And at the same time it will satisfy our hunger for her while spreading her unique talents all over the globe in preparation for the impending release of her most awaited album release. What do you say people? I think there is still enough time for Mr. Ryan C. to be able to do it. Thanks.

7. Rey says:
    I wish they would put this concert on dvd. That’s my ultimate wish so we can play in our own home every single minute of the day. Chasters do you guys agree?

• capofret says:
      yes, i think we need that. YouTube has been overused just to see Charice.

or perhaps a dvd of all charice’s performances.

8. jessica86s says:
    Thanks for the link Eve. Good idea luvkcha. Charice is truly the one. She’s raised the level of quality of Philippine musical entertainment, despite the undermining of all those crabs (unbelievable how many there are and how nasty). The one they rejected turned out to be their savior. How startling really the way the Lord works in mysterious ways.

Charice deserves all this love and admiration not only for her talent but for her kind and humble heart which she has shared with all those who’d listen and give her the chance to bless them with her talents.

9. eve says:
    In an interview, Charice says her concert was “inspired by Beyonce.. singing other songs, different from what I usually do.” Well, whatever she does, Charice takes it to a whole different level with her magnificent voice and performance. I’m sure it’ll be a fantastic concert and I’m really looking forward to the video!

10. luvkcha09 says:
    I would like to hear Charice (you will post her Phil concert on YT after right?) sing a Tagalog song and some of her original songs on this concert. And I think Ryan Cayabyab should compose a song just for Charice also. It is time to really give Charice some original songs for her to sing that will be identified as Charice’s. Although I enjoy Charice’s covers for Beyonce et al as she does a Superb interpretation – you almost forget that it is not her own songs. Adagio by LF, & Already Gone by Kelly Clarkson, are two songs I don’t mind hearing again. I am anticipating the release of her album, I have not been as excited about anything like this except when I was about to have my first baby lol… such anticipation. Chaddiction, Chavirus, Charism -itis, call it whatever.

• osuna says:

how about ADAGIO in Ilocano Tagalog and Visaya,
      last song, no offense, it can be done.

• Johanna says:
      Yes, I hope Mr. C will arrange a medley of Tagalog songs. Charice is so poignant when she interprets a Tagalog song. I like her rendition of “Maala-ala mo kaya”.

11. osuna says:
    well, well, well, our Charice did’nt do bad after all on her 3 days preparation of Adagio, no teleprompter, she is brilliant, excellent. If this is the same Christian Imparato (Palermo), he must be singing this song from small gatherings, from way back…he is so familiar with this song and he is good too, check this link

12. Martin says:
    YEAH!!!
    lets ENJOY IT!!!

-GODBLESS CHasters :D

13. lisa says:
    hoping that Charice will not be wearing a gown on her whole performance..

14. justcharrie says:
    PI Chasters, enjoy while you can have her in the Philippines. If you can, don’t miss it. In the coming time, it might be difficult to get her to stage a concert there. You all are very lucky!

• capofret says:
      i was also thinking of the same thing that’s why i want to watch her live when there is a chance to. sooner or later when she becomes famous worldwide she might not be able to spend much time in phils. right now, her value as an artist is going up by the day. so for fans, we have to take all the chances of seeing her.

• Johanna says:
      Yup! Bought my tickets. I’m bringing my parents with me. So this will be a real treat.

15. CutieSinger23 says:
    i wish i can see all of the chasters and you too, charice… :(

16. jimfan155 says:
    I’m hoping Charice will receive the same response in the Philippines that she has received in the US, Singapore, and Italy. I’m sure she is loved at home, but the fact that she’s appeared in many of the shows and sung all over the Philippines since she was 7 may mean the people are so familiar with her to the point that she won’t receive the same type of ovations she receives in foreign lands; where she is new and rarely seen in person.

If that occurs I don’t think we should be upset and get angry, but follow Charice’ lead of staying positive and roll with the punches. It would be great to see a standing ovation in the Philippines but it is what it is. I have never heard Charice complain and if she still goes home and gives her usual 110% that’s all she can do. Hopefully, with her international album coming out there will be some change in attitude at home.

Have a great concert Charice, and have fun.

• capofret says:
      i have to agree with the reasons why she doesn’t usually get it… (1) i think it’s in the culture in the philippines not to (normally) give standing ovation after a great performance. (2) people are kinda used to the kind of voice that charice has. it is like not really surprising, anymore. there are so many singing contests, many talented singers in the country. it’s actually overflowing with talents but problem is: no outlet for them to shine.

sometimes it frustrates me when i see her on ASAP show (or on other local tv shows) where the level of her singing/performance surpasses all her already amazing performances, yet the people’s reaction is just like “okay… we are clapping”. she even deserves more than a standing ovation. i cant even find the right words to describe it. maybe i need to coin a word to give justice to her performance: “CHARISTIC” – adj. derived from the name charice. (1) a word to describe a fantastic performance where the audience experienced emotional gratitude thereby giving full standing ovation to the singer.

so i am hoping for a well deserved standing ovation for charice in the philippines. i mean, why cant people appreciate this great talent? it is very obvious that wherever and whenever she will give out her best.

maestro ryan cayabyab is there so im also hoping for a (full) orchestra to match her voice.

• Leny Manalo says:
        “charistic” sounds good.

• lee says:
          this is what i like here in charicemania.. my vocabulary improves… i learned the word “charistic” today… no wonder that this can be included in webster dictionary.. specially if the author of webster become a chaster and got chavirus..

• osuna says:

Maybe most of you will disagree with me, the only reason probably why her album or any release that is suppose to happen is Gods will, just look around us, all the disasters that has been going on. He knows that we should pay attention to this sufferings of humans first, so many children perished and orphanage destroyed.
      So lets not give up, and be patients, sooner or later Charice releases and album will be available without competition from the disasters around us. He wants her to be successful too, like I said, he is not done with her yet. I assume Charice is well aware of this human sufferings and her album and releases are secondary for now….Lets wait, it will come !!PEACE

17. tonz says:

18. osuna says:
    Calling Mr. Cayabyab, Italy, Philippines, USA witnessed and watched Charice did her duet with Christian, probably be a good move to let her do her own Lara Fabian song on her own, SOLO.
    There are so much feedback that although they really did not understand the language, they were so moved and can not hold back their tears while watching Charice partly sang ADAGIO.

Now maybe this is the right time, to really enjoy what she can accomplish with this song. Do it Mr. Cayabyab, you are seasoned musician and been around in this business for so long, no doubt you can do it. The world will be watching. God Bless.

• Tintol says:
      She is going to try to sing Adagio in English and Italian… mixed. Confirmed by Momraqz in CM chatroom and plurk of Charice. I hope it will push through. I’m so excited already ^_^

-Tintol

19. Bryan says:
    I’m looking forward for the concert and meeting Charice in person hopefully!

20. dadartful says:
    CHARICE, CHARICE, CHARICE, CHARICE. We’ll hear this calling out from the audience as it happened in Milan. I’m confident that this production will be vastly improved from her SMX showing, as far as timing, orchestrial background and singing backups. Maybe Cha will sing a couple of new songs of hers to preview her upcoming album. Charice will always amaze the musical world with her appearances. Dear Charice will your character be exactly as you are and your future will surpase what you envision. Timing is everything and thank you for being in the ending of my lifetime. You have made mine and many others a reason to enjoy life and happiness.

21. ab.bonita says:
    I’m so excited for this event. Once again, the world will witness Charice’s musical prowess. This would surely be a big success just like all her other performances. =)