Categorized | Featured

How Did You Discover Charice?

How Did You Discover Charice?

Chasters, we would like to know how you became fans of our princess, Charice?  Please tell us your stories; where you first saw her, what caught your attention, what article or video drew you to her, and any other event you can share with us.

Thank you for sharing. Admin moved this article back up and put it in the spotlight because he has noticed several new visitors to Charicemania.

If you have not told your story about how Charice came into your life, we would certainly like to hear about it here. When I need my spirit uplifted, I peruse through some of many stories here. I get amazed all over again about this wonder named Charice and how she touched all of our lives.

She is an inspiration to us all.

Submitted by Max

Please enjoy some of these favorites submitted by chasters, that may make you laugh or cry, but for sure will put a big smile on your face:

290 Responses to “How Did You Discover Charice?”

1. kamille says:
    I watched her on Ellen Degeneres show, Star King and Oprah several times( like a million). Everyday, I keep coming back on youtube for new vids. I always enjoy her singing and make sure that I thank God I am able to witness His gift and pray for her more success and stay humble.

2. azucena gehring says:
    She truly touched my heart with her life story and her angelic voice!!

3. jessica says:
    never surfing in youtube at all just started when i saw charice sang at ellen woooow wow i was blown away, i am very impressed and proud of her…. til then can’t stop following her in youtube and sometimes i sleep almost 3am……

4. Amspidey says:
    Like bronxguy & zhez i’ve never tried to follow someone or somebody’s business in my entire life. I’m a workaholic person, i even don’t have time to watch an early tv news because i always come home late. I’m already 33 y.o. (31 y.o. when I started to like Charice).I’ve seen the news on a local tv here in the Philippines. She did a duet with Celine Dion in the U.S. I said, wow that’s really a big news. Though she had participated in a local tv show here in Manila before but unfortunately i never got the chance to watch her perform because of work. Then after seeing that news I searched in youtube about this awesome girl & found the video of Charice who performed on Korea’s tv show Star King. She sang the song And I’m Telling You, I’m Not Going, goodness i’ve watched it like 20 times the first time i’ve seen it..within a month after seeing that same video I’ve been playing that again & again even at the office..& before i sleep at night i have to watch that video..never tired of watching that vid. I’m so proud & all pinoys are so proud of Charice. Being a Filipino, Charice made us all proud. She really deserves all the things she is has right now. With all the hardships she had gone through to achieve her dreams, she really inspires me & a lot of people who knew her life story.
    Btw i have to segue a little:) because of Charice I became an addict of Kpop & Korean dramas. Beside Charice (she’s on top of course:) i became an avid fan of Kyuhyun the guy who had a duet with Charice on that same Korean TV show. The Star King tv host Kang Ho Dong became my favorite tv host, he’s so funny. I’m so excited to watch the 3rd appearance of Charice on Star King this coming July 24th. Charice is really a nice person. She really look back to where she had been discovered. Always here to support you girl! Mabuhay ka!

• perla says:

why, i’ll be 56 on the 28th of jan. and i’d been a fan since 2007 (when I was 52) i think. She guested on Ellen in December 2007, didn’t she? I think I’m mistaken. I said i first came to know her before she guested at Ellen’s show.

5. Maureen says:
    I have been a devoted Charice news surfer..
    I first came across her divaliciousness eversince Falsevoice uploaded the infamous Charice vs Bianca Ryan video. I will admit of being a repeat viewer, a link forwarder, a contributor of sorts for the number of views so I was ecstatic when the Ellen show featured her.
    I cant describe how excited I was and on defend mode even then as I remember a video of two asian guys later poking fun by imitating her appearance and gestures.
    I did get little disappointed when it was quiet after that.
    Since Utube or the powersthatbe have taken Falsevoice accounts down for a long while back then so no chance for me to catch her on local pinoy shows. There was no good article even that time, its like no one wanted to acknowledge her feat.. Not to sound melodramatic but honestly, I remember praying for her success that time before sleeping.
    Later, I was lucky to stumble on videos from Paul O Grady show and of course then came Oprah and countless standing ovations. Every news about her is like a drug to me. I am proud to say that even if Charice wont ever know me, my admiration for her and her talents will never change.
    It makes me happy to support her even from afar, to share the same thoughts with the chasters, to listen to her sing and now to listen to her own songs. I dont expect anything but I do want the best for her. Its not just pinoy pride, its just because my heart and mind tells me she really deserves it.
    Anyway I knew from the first time I watched the Star King video that she is destined for greatness and even when I got bamboozled with a fair amount of money during the first concert of hers here in Dubai – thats another story ;) – that I will be an avid fan for the first time in my life – & hopefully for life.
    Charice is just marvelous.

6. Charles says:
    My wife was watching the Filipino Channel (ABS-CBN) and we saw a story on Charice a few weeks before she was scheduled to be on Ellen. I seem to recall she also appeared on Wowowee before appearing on Ellen, but I may be wrong about that. I’ve followed her ever since. We saw the hitman show on PBS, and I got lucky and caught the ice skating show she did when it was on TV b/c my mom follows ice skating.

7. junivel says:
    i first saw her at “little big star” (a singing contest show) and im very disappointed that she got the 3rd place only.. then a year after. ABS-CBN news show some video’s of charice saying that she’s a youtube sensation, that’s she’s singing with the famous celine dion. and suddenly i got curious so i search her in youtube and the first video that really amazed me is the one when she’s in korea. amazing!!

8. cherry says:
    i first saw Charice in ABS-CBN’s Little Big Star. I never missed an episode when i knew Charice would be there. I, with the rest of my family, was rooting for her from elimination round, semi finals and finals. We were very disappointed when the winners were announced because we really think Charice deserved to win the 1st place. When she became a youtube sensation and international invitations were flooding in, we were very proud and happy for her. Charice, you deserve everything you’re reaping right now. We are very proud of you! Just stay humble and grounded and you will fly high! :)

9. vanessa says:
    i was watching a video on youtube called amazing kids singing. While i was waiting for it to load, i scrolled down to the comments and all of them said “wow i love charice” or “charice was the best” i thought who is this “charice”, i had to find out so i fast forwarded it until i saw her name.the comments were right she was the best.i have never in my 12 years of life, have ever heard a voice more pure or have seen anyone as beautiful as charice. i was astounded. i stood on the computer that night until about seven in the morning, trying to find more about charice. i could not get enough of her.and i still cant. XD

10. Annie says:
    I was checking out Lea Salonga and saw this new face and was fascinated by her. Gosh, she is so talented! I am now a regular visitor to her Youtube “escapades.” I wish her a long and very productive career. Also, I hope she does not go the way of some of the famous personalities who have wasted their careers.

11. MegaFunFan says:
    i was searching for Bianca Ryan at that time and then i saw Charice’s Star King’s clips , watched it and was blown away ..from then on i got chaddicted … this girl has got all , the talent, the moves, the charisma , i just love her …. fan from Thailand :D

12. Manda says:
    heard about her thru CHARICEMANIA.COM WEBSITE

13. pilar says:
    I heard about Charice from E News when they mentioned about a Youtube video going viral. I watched her appearance on the Korea show and I have been a Charice fan ever since then. From then on, I’ve anticipated her appearances in the US and watched her on Ellen, then Oprah and David Foster with Celine, Andrea Boccelli and so forth. I think she has the goods to make it in the US. My recommendation, after having listened to several promotional appearances, is to study grammatically correct English in order to better communicate and express yourself in video and audio interviews. You are getting better but it takes time. I’m rooting for you.

14. mineomyn says:
    i came to know charice on the TV talent contest “little big star”. i watched her there.

15. Jennifer says:
    Dear Oprah, David Foster and Charice,
    Why has Ellen Degeneres’s name been omitted from the history of how Charice came to the U.S.? Wasn’t she the one who flew in Charice from the Philippines to America for the first time and featured her on her show? Why is she not given credit for at least that? I realize the machinery behind building the career of Charice is being steered by you Oprah and David Foster, but Ellen should at least be credited for findng her on YouTube and first presenting her to United States.
    I wish you all the best, Charice. You are amazing! But acknowledge your first friend in America — Ellen Degeneres.

• eve says:
      that youtube video was viewed initially by 13 million people including David Foster’s sister, Jaymes, who referred the video to David who then referred Charice to Oprah. So while Ellen was the first to invite Charice to America, that doesn’t mean she deserves the “credit for finding her on youtube.”

Important music people were about to change Charice’s life dramatically because they saw that same video and recognized her talent, all happening behind the scenes whilst Charice was making her first appearance on Ellen. Charice of course is grateful to Ellen and hopes to be invited back some day, but her Oprah appearance would have happened with or without Ellen. Oprah was looking for the World’s Most Talented Kid and the timing was just a few months later than Ellen’s show.

Ellen did not play a part in signing Charice to a record label or hooking her up with hitman DF, Oprah, Celine, Bocelli or creating the amazing buzz that Charice is experiencing now. Charice’s appearance on Ellen is as insignificant as an appearance on asap as far as her current success is concerned. It would have been quickly forgotten if not for Oprah. Charice always acknowledges Ellen when asked. Anything more than that would be giving Ellen more credit than is deserved.

• vangie says:

Eve, no, no, no…you are wrong. First of all before I speak, I give credit to all of those people mentioned who helped Charice in one form or another. Now Eve, if you please go back and watch the Ellen episode when Charice appeared, the most excited, grateful, helpful, adoring, wonderful, surprised, respectful person in the studio was Ellen herself. She was mesmerized of Charice and spoke of her in the utmost, best possible light. She said to the audience, “you will be blown away today by this girl..you will say, I was there on this day…” So, let’s give credit where credit is also due.

16. dgr911 says:
    I came to know about Charice (2 yrs ago)when I was based in China that time and regularly reading Phil Star & Inquirer in the internet to keep me updated about Phils. I read in the news about this girl being a you tube sensation. So I checked youtube where she performed in StarKing. I was amazed when I watched her as I haven’t heard about her nor I watch local tv shows in Phils. (sorry). From then on I became a silent fan. I shared that video with my nieces who are also overseas. Now I am based in Vietnam and still follow this girl’s success. Truly a gifted talent. To all haters and with crab mentality, all I can say is JUST SHUT UP. You don’t have the right to judge other people as if you are perfect! This girl really worked very hard to get where she is now. Really happy for her. Keep it up. Will keep watchin’ your way to the TOP here in Vietnam.

17. Julie says:
    I came across Charice the other day when I was listening to the radio. I changed the chanel and heard such a beautful song, I listened the end of the song and found out it was called Pyramid sung by Charice! Later I youtubed it, then I bouhgt it on itunes now I can’t stop listening to it!!

• noellen says:
      yay Julie,.. that is called chaddiction,, hahahah,, enjoy watching her on YT.. and thanks for coming here in Charicemania,… you are now a chaster,, hihihi…

18. FrantiJan says:
    I was sitting at my armchair just loughing at some American-, German- British-idols on YouTube, when I opened a link to a little Philippina girl. It was Charice and from that moment (about 3 years ago) I had no more day without her! Never before and behind I loved a singer as much as Charice. God bless her!

19. andre segovia says:
    i listen to miles davies wes montgomery corea jobim joe pass sting the police david sanborn ella billie zawinul jeff beck mozart rachmaninoff ravi shankar yoyoma jeff beck brubeck and….

(and then from my room, i heard a child’s singing voice, it attracted me to watch with the other men listening and watching intently, it was some singing contest on The Filipino Channel. i haven’t heard of Charice then. i thought the child’s performance was incredible. you just had to listen and starel. after she finishes, I became aware that she has that special intangible, indescribable built-in life force which so few possess. This girl is a natural!)

… Charice!

• kb117 says:
      @andre,

Love your varied musical taste….
      I also dig most of those….

am almost with you there on that day, with the way u described it…
      got me teary-eyed…
      goosebumps…

20. aroc says:
    I love you cha

21. aroc says:
    I’m glad I found Charice as my inspitration.She really is a heaven sent to so many people’s lives .Whenever I hear her amazing voice my oxytocin raises to the highest level ;that makes me forget what am I doing..It;s so addictive.I love her so much.

22. RJ says:
    A good friend of mine (filipina) told me about a very special young lady with the talents of Whitney, Mariah, Christina…I took her adviced and found Charice on YouTube. Like everyone else that hears her for the first time (mine was Dec 2009) my jaw hit the floor!! I must have sat there for over an hour amazed with what a voice that was coming out of a small petite young lady.

GOD reached down from heaven and touched her vocal cords when Charice was born. It will be a thrill to watch this young lady develop her talent and take the music world by storm. When one Legend fades, another one stands up to take her rightful place to keep the music alive.

23. Menineims says:
    I don’t quite well remember the date when my Chadiction started. It was probably May or June 2009 during my work vacation. That time, my husband and I have just started enjoying our own lives together when we decided to move to another place away from his family. It was not because we want to but because we have to due to some urgent reasons. Anyway, to set the record straight, it was not because of his parents whom I dearly respect and love but more on logistics issue.

One thing my husband and I agreed with was to equip our new home with internet connection. Both of us shares same interest as we similarly operate in the world of web where his is job related and mine is friend-network related.

It was one of those lazy days when I was alone in our bedroom and my husband was running his usual chores. I was in front of computer and was running out of ideas to keep myself busy with when out of nowhere Charice name popped out of my mind. It was probably because Charice has been a common household name at that time which I have been hearing from my friends, family and other people. Though uninterested but intrigued, I searched for her name and stumbled upon her Star King video. Indeed, it was an unexpected treat as I never expected such a performance specially upon seeing a very young unassuming artist. When she began to hurl her notes with big resounding voice, I was held back my seat. I was so moved that my natural instinct brought me to extreme euphoria. My eyes began to swell as I tried to hold my tears back but the feeling was so overwhelming that I was not able to contain that wonderful outburst of my emotion.

That one video was followed by another until all the videos I could find in the internet went swiftly before my eyes yet I still craved for more. Trying to sustain that wonderful experience, I had to go over same sets of videos over and over and never got tired of them. That was my day one and needless to say, that turned into a never ending process of Chasting day after day.

Hence, all my vacations days were spent not without taking a glimpse of Charice in the net at every opportunity I could find most of which presented themselves during wee hours. I found myself beginning to be a part of her world where I rejoice and celebrate at every moment and development in her career.

I’m glad that Charicemania have been very instrumental at that time and until now in taking me and all Chasters through this journey….into Cha’s world of wonders.

To Charicemania team, you’re such a bunch of heroes. Keep up the good work.

• capofret says:
      hi Menineims, thank you for your very sincere story. really nice reading this. welcome to “cha’s world of wonders”..hehe..

24. ArrVee says:
    one time I was just reflecting on the past 2 years, and what I realized was that I subconsciously partitioned it into the time before I discovered Charice and the time after that.

the point at which I discovered her was a milestone, and the time after that was a blur.

is it just me?

25. lisbon says:
    I discovered Charice on Youtube in December 2007 when I visited my sister in Antipolo. I never heard of Charice before. She’s a certified Kapamilya and I admit I am not. So, I never had a chance to see her perform live on that kapamilya channel. Here comes my sister, a solid kapamilya fanatic, introduced to me the name Charice Pempengco and I immediately searched her on Youtube. At first, it was difficult for me to spell her last name. And now, after almost 3 years of being CHaddicted, my day is not complete without seeing her on Youtube. I cannot afford to be left behind the every new video performances of her. She’s so fantastic that her every performance made me feel so amazed and the goosebumps are there. Charice is soOOOOOooOOOooo amazing!

26. vic says:
    Sombebody sent me a youtube link and when I opened it a little girl in plaid skirt and pony tail was starting to sing. I thought she was chinese or korean since the show is in Korea. come to find out, she is Filipina. Her singing caught my attention and from that day on I practically check the web on a daily basis hoping to see a new video of her singing and I was just amazed when she was invited by Ellen De Generes. I said to myself; this girl will go places. I have been to her shows (2nd Mandalay Bay Concert, One Kapamilya Go at Great America in Santa Clara, CA, Wowowee in Tacoma, Washington, DF&Friends Concert in Vancouver B.C.) but I never had the opportunity to meet her in person. I’m not very fond of big crowd. I’m happy admiring her from a distance. Her talent is very rare according to DF. Once you come across it, you have to take advantage of it. Like David Foster said; those talent can be counted in one hand. They seems to come ones in a generation. And Charice possess that unique talent. Her ability to memorize the song and adapt the tune is amazing. The poise and confidence in her is evident in the way she carry herself on stage. she is very mature for her age when it comes to performing in front of a big audience. She can hide her nervousness very well and she brings out all the emotion necessary to get the audience feel the meaning of her song. Her singing gets to you and makes your hair stand up and give you goose bumps. Her performance is very consistent; full of emotion. she is very different from other entertainer. She delivers with all the feelings and emotion. She will be a force to be recognized in the entertainment business for years to come. She is just 17 going on 18; their is a lot more in store for her future. All she needs to do is pace herself and don’t get overwhelmed by all that is happening around her. Listen to her mentors and her management. They know what is best for her. Her management has the track record fo managing successful entertainers. Ming’ good luck on your chosen career. Keep both feet planted on the ground even though you are wearing better shoes. God bless you and your family. You are a very intelligent girl. Your demeanor is impeccable, you are very mature for your age and it shows on how you carry yourself. I am very proud of you and I hope that one day I’ll meet you in person. Keep on tracking and follow your HEART. I am praying for you and your family. God Bless!

27. vic says:
    How I discovered Charice. Somebody sent me a link on youtube. I opened it, watch Charice’s performance in Korea and from that day on I have followed her career practically on a daily basis. I can say that I got hooked on her. I have been on her shows (2nd Mandalay Bay concert, One Kapamilya Go, Wowowee show in Tacoma, WA and DF&Friends concert in Vancouver B.C.)but I never had the opportunity to meet her in person. I’m not the type that will endure a big crowd and push my way through to get to her. I’m happy looking and admiring her from a distance. I feel proud of her for what she has accomplished so far in her budding career. She’s going places with her vocals. She has a very unique talent that very few people possess. Her ability to memorize and adapt the tune of a song is incredible. Alot of people in the music and entertainment industry are amazed in her talent and the confidence she shows’in every performance that she does regardless if it is in the Philippines or abroad. She is a force to be recognized. Like what DF said; the talent of Charice comes very seldom in a generation and they should not be taken for granted. Once you see it; you must take advantage of it and explore it to the fullest. And Charice is just starting to scratch the surface of her talent. Shes’ got a lot more to share to the world of entertainment. Ming’ just keep your feet planted on the ground even though you are wearing betters shoes. Good luck on your career and I’m always praying for you. May you reach the peak of your dream as an international singer and entertainer. May God be with you and guide you always in all your endeavors. I know you will take good care of your family with out question. Be true to yourself and stay as sweet as you are. More power to you.

Vic

28. My Chadiction took only two minutes, seven seconds. It was 13 April 2009. I was just getting settled in my sit with a drink & snack, waiting for the big game to start. My 90210 friend had never seen the stadium this full. I heard them introducing the singer for the National Anthem but I was only half paying attention. The word “Presidential” caught my attention as it was unexpected in a singer intro. Then I looked down and this little Kid in a miniature Dodgers jersey was walking on the field and took her stance right on home plate.

Honestly, I was thinking, oh no, not another one. Having a poor, mediocre, or even a good but mis-matched singer perform my National Anthem is a big pet peeve of mine dating back to my military days. Often, even successful singers fall short of my standards for such an important event (it is not opera, rap, country or hip-hop). I mean it is the United States’ National Anthem – that’s a big deal in my book. Definitely not a place for Kids (I was thinking).

I stood up as the music started playing and I noticed more than the normal number of cameramen on the field recording this Kid, whose name I didn’t know. “Maybe she is Obama’s babysitter” I was joking with my friend. Then she hurled the first notes into the air but I didn’t get the full impact as the crowd was cheering the unfurling of the giant flag. But after a few seconds the crowd became silent and there it was; the most beautiful voice I had heard live, ever (Mariah and Whitney both lip-synced their performances of the Anthem). My friend said and I quote “it was like she opened her mouth and Whitney jumped out”

As the song progressed, her emotions poured out like the most proud American of us all. (It was only later I learned her name and that Charice was from The Philippines.) As she hit the high notes, her emotions became passionate and the crowd stated cheering (not for the B2 Spirit). The cheers were for Charice, and then as she reached the end the whole stadium was enthused with patriotism and cheering at the top of their lungs. It is a good thing glass is not allowed as Charice’s “free” note would have made a heck of a mess. Right after Charice finished, I noticed Joe Torre patiently waiting for Charice to look his way to say words of praise. No, I couldn’t hear him but he was interviewed and quoted in the next day’s news.

Now, I have viewed over a thousand Charice videos, made hundreds of blogs, bought everything Charice has released, even added her albums to my gift shop. A very good seller I might add. I have even become a regular in Charicemania Chat. I have never participated in a chat room before. Wasn’t interested and honestly, I don’t type very fast any more (bowling injury:-)

This is my confession as a chaoholic. Steve

Below are links to two of my favorite “Charice sings the US National Anthem” videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WG4IkWqHtg Best crowd reaction

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RM9qEqoFfDs&NR=1 Best picture & audio

• ArrVee says:
      Steve, thanks for sharing this, the first personal account on this site (that I’m aware of) of that momentous event (for you and for Charice). I’ve watched these videos numerous times just to imagine what it would be like to hear her voice filling an open-air stadium. My favorite is the “… and the rockets’ red glare …” part – there are very few singers who can do that in full, seamless power. And because of her, I have memorized your national anthem.

Just like the B2 bomber, she sneaked in by stealth, “nuked” the audience, and no one knew what hit them.

• mrsharbort says:
      This article deserves applause. Rounds of them.

Though it’s short, you cannot discount the honesty.

No drama, no fanfare, only Mr. Steve’s heart spoke.

• capofret says:
      i love this! very true. it only takes less than 5 minutes of charice’s full performance to like her. only 1 performance. after the moments of seeing her, you will crave for more. that’s also how charice came to my life.

• ArrVee says:
      here is another video where you can better appreciate her high notes, since her voice is not drowned out by the audience:

29. zhez says:
    Same with you bronxguy, I am not the type of person who follow someone’s career. I don’t even have a favorite actor, actress or singer until I knew of Charice. I am sure a lot can relate to that.

I knew Charice when she joined the Little Big Star (it is like the american idol here in US, but the contestants are kids). The very first time I hear her sing, I was so impress with her vocal ability. I am a music minded person and can sing somehow so I know, even I am not the professional type, I know what a high quality voice is. On top of his vocal ability, her stage presence and charisma is just outstanding at a young age. And so she was my bet to win the contest, but unfortunately, as all of us knew, it did not happen. I feel sad for her honestly because I do believe she deserved to win. It was the first time in my life when I am so impressed by someone’s singing ability. But oh well…life has to go on right? I was just thinking at that time that this girl will have a great career in front of her in few years to come.

And yes indeed…(I feel like I can predict someone’s future now:))

Few years after, my mother in law told me that a filipina girl is going to sing in Ellen’s show the next day. I have never watch shows like that, I mean they are nice shows but just don’t have the time to deal with it…but as a filipina, I got so curious who could that be? I mean a filipina singing in Ellen or any other shows in US is like a dream come true from someone in our country, honestly speaking. So I made sure I won’t miss that.

When she was introduced, I knew right there and then that it is her…the girl I used to watch in Little Big Star, the girl that impressed me so much and the girl that just makes me want to sing more….and better…and from within my heart!! Honestly, I think I sing better now than before because I try to understand how she sings. But anyway, that’s out of the loop…just sharing how she somehow change a part of me. So going back to that Ellen’s show, just like the audience’s reaction, I was in awe and was still amazed even though I already heard her sing before! It was a different day for me, I feel like I have achieved something great in my life in her. And I am so happy that she had that opportunity when no other singer in Phil get a chance to. And then I told myself, this is the start of her career her. And I was right again. There’s no stopping for Charice anymore.

Now I can say, I have a favorite artist – and it is Charice. As long as she stays humble and rooted to the ground, I am a fan forever. I am a silent member actually in charicemania. Browsed all the videos and maybe read most of the comments and play almost every song she sings in every engagement she attended to. But now I can’t help but share my side of the story by subscribing to charicemania. And I think that makes every fan complete right?:) Anyway, Charice, as long as you continue to share your talent and give your purest best with remarkable attitude, I don’t mind doing all this. I pray for your continued success in life…keep on dreaming girl!

30. bronxguy says:
    Iam actually not a type of person who are fond of following careers of people. I just enjoy shopping, playing pc games, eating, sleeping. The hell i care of actors, singer whatever….

Until………when i knew charice from a fellow workmate who said to me of this girl from the Philippines who sings so well. So i tried to see her in you tube. And from that moment on i go to you tube to search for her new videos and play it over and over again EVERYDAY! I even have it downloaded in my cellphone and passed it on to some friends…that was since 2008 when i knew her for the first time.