Categorized | Featured

How Did You Discover Charice?

How Did You Discover Charice?

Chasters, we would like to know how you became fans of our princess, Charice?  Please tell us your stories; where you first saw her, what caught your attention, what article or video drew you to her, and any other event you can share with us.

Thank you for sharing. Admin moved this article back up and put it in the spotlight because he has noticed several new visitors to Charicemania.

If you have not told your story about how Charice came into your life, we would certainly like to hear about it here. When I need my spirit uplifted, I peruse through some of many stories here. I get amazed all over again about this wonder named Charice and how she touched all of our lives.

She is an inspiration to us all.

Submitted by Max

Please enjoy some of these favorites submitted by chasters, that may make you laugh or cry, but for sure will put a big smile on your face:

290 Responses to “How Did You Discover Charice?”

1. UnJynkz says:
    My Story is bit different. I was already working here in the Mid East. So okay you could very much summarize my idea of fun here in three letters..T.F.C..hehe, that was back then though :)

Anyway that’s when I first saw Charice on Little Big Star. It doesn’t take a genius to know real talent when you see one. It was a sure win. Unfortunately, for most people talent was not enough (with emphasis on NOT ENOUGH). My only consolation was that I wasn’t the only one disappointed. We were all like…WHAT? 3RD? REALLY? we even thought of writing to ABS-CBN for that fiasco…but in retrospect, it was text votes that decided the fate of the contestants. So that was that.

Then a couple of years later or so we were in the office checking some videos on youtube (after office hours of course, like a good OFW..hahaha). A colleague told us to watch this video of a young filipina performing in Korea that had gotten a million views on youtube …yeah I could have sworn that was more than a million but couldn’t find that particular video anymore. Anyway we were stuck on that one video. She was just great and all those reactions from the Koreans were just overwhelming. We were really into her. But then leave it to me to spoil the fun. Although she was awesome I had to be the one to rock the boat. I couldn’t resist it. I told my friends “she’s great but there are other good singers in the Philippines too…blah blah blah…remember that girl from Little Big Star? Charice?”. To my embarrassment, one blurted out..”tanga, tingnan mo uli, siya nga yan eh! (Look again silly, it is her!). How could I not recognize her? ..sorry about that Charice :). Anyway had to pick up myself with “I knew that!” hehe. I couldn’t contain myself. Recalling what happened to her on LBS, I was just very happy seeing her again on a more deserving circumstance. It had to take a while for her but apparently it was worth it.

And that was it, I was hooked.

2. Theresa says:
    I love to watch Charice perform. I first saw her on Oprah. I would love to see her in a live performance. Please let me know when and if she is comeing to the seattle area.

3. Theresa says:
    I first saw charice on Oprah, and have been injoying her singing ever sence. I can’t beleive it has been years sence I first saw her. I would love to see her live. When is she coming back to seattle area? I would love to know if and when? Thanks so much for your loving personalty.

4. marks says:
    Great topic, and good to keep at the top. How did I discover Charice? Well, in ’08, I had just watched a tv show about Journey and Steve Perry, an old show about their relationship, and found myself wondering who Journey was using now. I took a look on the web, read about Arnel Pineda and how he was discovered via the YT videos of zoo band. So I searched YT for those, and then for “singer phillipines” or something like that to see if I could find more Arnel videos. Well, one of the videos that popped up was near the top wasn’t about Arnel, but someone named Charice Pempengco, but it was pretty high up on the listings, so I clicked on it. Here is that video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oaxw1fDejE8 That was pretty much it. Hooked right there, and just like everyone else always interested in more news, and always looking for new videos.

I was lucky enough to go to The Big E and see her live. A great show by her. When she begins to tour doing her own shows, it will be a great day. I hope for the best for Charice.

5. muzkbuff says:
    Just like Max, Grumpq and most of you, I was never a “fan”. Sure, I knew Whitney, Mariah, Celine, Beyonce and their signature songs, I follow American Idol casually but never did I bought CDs or follow the careers of a particular Artist even when I was younger (ahem, not that old :=). So, in December of 2007 while I was going about my daily routine, my sister told me to check out Charice (forgot her last name that time :=), apparently she created quite a buzz here in the Phils. ‘coz of her guesting in the Ellen D show. I didn’t bother to read or watch local showbiz news about Charice and her appearance in the Ellen D show. So after about a month January 2008, bored, I finally googled “Charice” and lo and behold, a million hits and on top of that list is the Ellen D guesting, clicked on the YT link and never knew what hit me. Next, clicked the SBS Korea performance and like all of you, I went on a clicking spree, joined YT and all those sites and blogs that I can’t even remember :=) Bought her CDs, The Hitman, bought again on Itunes, and now eagerly awaiting the release of her debut CD. Two years later and counting, still a Chaddict!

6. tonz says:
    Max,

Just a simple suggestion and I hope you don’t mind. Can you please number the the comments so it would be easy for me/us to return to where we stop. That way we don’t miss reading everything and we couldn’t possibly read through in one sitting given the number of bloggers. Am just one of those hopelessly addicted Chaster. Thanks

• max says:
      tonz,

Thank you for the suggestion. I and several others have also commented that is one trade-off we do not like about the new format. Unfortunately, we cannot have our cake and eat it too. With this new thread design and approval system, the counter will not work.

• luvkcha09 says:
      I just read the dates posted to give me an idea on which ones I read last. I also like to read other Chaster’s postings. It completes my day!

7. max says:
    This is my 1000th post here in Charicemania. I have been delaying posting it because I wanted it to be special, and convey my feelings as I think back to when this ride started.

My discovery of Charice was purely accidental. I was visiting at some friend’s home, and the TV was on Oprah. I was not watching the show, but suddenly one of my friends said “Come here and watch this little girl”. There were five or six of us there, and we starting watching her sing. She was about halfway through the song when the camera panned to Oprah. Her jaw flew open and…….well, you know the rest of the story.

So when I got home, I Googled Charice Pempengco, and navigated to her first web site. There I found the Ellen video, and was just flabbergasted by her performance, and the audience’s reaction. Still, I cannot yet say I was “Chaddicted”, just very impressed. Later, I came back to watch the Ellen video again and found the Charice documentaries. I must have watched them all at least five or six times before I decided to visit YouTube to find the videos that had been uploaded by FalseVoice.

Quite frankly, I was not that impressed by the Star King series (can’t believe I’m admitting that here). But I am an American, and perhaps not used to the type show I was watching. However, I found many YouTube videos that did cement my fondness for Charice’s talent. The Boy and Kris videos were especially enjoyable to me, although I can’t speak a word of Tagalog.

GM wrote a post about a Meet and Greet with Charice after the Las Vegas appearance. I decided I just had to go to the show and M&G, but fate intervened, and my schedule would not allow me to go. So, I did my part and donated to the M&G because GM had to raise a lot of money to pull this off. So I pleaded with Chasters to donate even if they could not go. As you know, the M&G was a tremendous success, but not as big a success as Charice’s mesmerizing the crowd with her songs. She won two standing ovations. This was a very ritzy crowd, and these types are sometimes difficult to please, in my opinion.

I think I succumbed to “Chaddiction” when I ordered the “Hitman” DVD of the Las Vegas Mandalay Show. If I remember correctly, the DVD/CD combo was $19.95. OMG, Charice’s appearance floored me and anybody that would that watched the DVD with me felt the same way. So I ordered 5 more for family and friends. When she walked out on that stage, blew a kiss to David Foster, and sung her way into my and other’s hearts.

From there, I eventually made my way to Charicemania, mainly because Charice’s web site was not updating, and I was hungry for more. Now here was a site that was doing a magnificent job of feeding me “Charice candy”, hahahaha. I think I overdosed because now I spent hours and hours viewing videos and reading all of the comments. Before long, I began commenting and found an outlet to express my feelings about this girl’s magnificent talents. I just couldn’t get enough. I got so hungry for new videos and comments that I found myself waking up way too early (does that sound familiar to anybody) just to find out what I may have missed while sleeping.

I have to credit KV, my mentor and a long time moderator here, with involving me more and more. I worked with her and another great Chaster on a contest, awarding copies of NTG to Chasters who sent in answers to the question “What Have You Done for Charice Today”. She invited me to join the Charicemania team, and that is the one of the best things that happened to me. So now, I have the best of both worlds: working with a super group of Chasters, and helping Charice conquer the world with her extraordinary talent. Thank you Ms. KV!

• sonata says:
      Max,that was very well delivered.I am so pleased to know that men go crazy about Charice too.I share the same experience with you.Charice is very addictive.Thank you for your comments about our Little One. I personally haven’t seen anybody with so much impact on people. Her’s is pure talent that is beyond compare.I haven’t experience this with any performer,she gives me goosebumps every single time I watch her perform so much power coming from somebody that small.

• treboR says:

Max, you’re one of the reasons why I listen to Blogtalk radio. You have so much character and personality in your voice, that I find myself grinning from ear to ear whenever you speak! I look forward to listening to you, even for a quick second…You, DJ Drake and Eve do such an incredibly awesome job…I thank you.

TreboR

• Gandalf says:

Sorry Max, I read this post just now. Am happy also to have worked with you for a bit: NTG, Buzz Up projects, etc. I’m still chaddicted like you. Like everyone here! KV would sure remember me also. But I’m content to be just a lurker and follow Charice everyday!

8. grumpq says:
    September 10, 2008 1:15am – Just like all those life changing moments, you remember forever exactly when, where and what you were doing.

SLEEPLESS. I couldn’t sleep that night as I finished watching Jimmy Kimmel Live. Oprah re-broadcast was next so I went channel surfing. CNN, BBC, FOX… nothing going on in the world. Back to channel surfing. One of the channels, flashed a scene of Manila Bay. I stopped. “I was just there on vacation!” I thought it was the travel channel. “Oh, it’s Oprah. Why would she feature the Philippines? Poor girl. What’s the episode about now, domestic violence? Cute girl but what’s her problem? Are they going to have psychologists, like Dr Phil, talk next? Poverty and singing contests are common in the Philippines so what’s so special about her? “

WOW MOMENT. “Hey, David Foster is on Oprah and he’s going to play the piano!” As the girl starts to sing, I thought, “Wow! She’s got a nice voice.” By the end of the song, I was flabbergasted and in awe. I’m sure my mouth was open too. “WHO IS THAT GIRL?!! Beautiful performance! She’s as good as Celine! What was her name again?!” I didn’t get the last name so i grabbed my laptop and googled Charice.

YOUTUBE. I clicked the YouTube link on the Google list. It was Charice performance on Ellen: clap, clap, tear. Another Ellen video: Wow! Oprah Most Talented Kids: clap,clap,stand,tear. Another video, Star King: Wow! O’Grady, Carousel of Hope, Big Sister, Little Big star. Wow! More videos, need more videos! Mandalay Bay Las Vegas, WOW!! Watched them all again! Suffice to say i didn’t get to bed until 6am.

After 2 hours of sleep, it was off to work. The first thing i did at work was to go to YouTube. Work, YT, work, YT. Guess what I did when i got home that night? Now repeat the process for 6 months! I was chaddicted! It didn’t help that new videos were showing up like the MSG Celine duet and GMA. It’s not only her performance but her personality that makes her so adorable.

CHANGES. I’m glad to realize I’m not the only who is chaddicted and acts like this. I’ve never been a fan of any artist or athlete. Because of Charice, I’ve become familiar with Whitney, Beyonce & Celine songs, I now know what MHWGO, IWALY, BGM & SOTR mean. Because of Charice, I’m now aware of Sarah, Regine, Arnel, Freddie, Boy, Kris, Wowoweee and ASAP. Because of Charice, I’ve opened accounts on YouTube, Twitter, Plurk, CD, CM, Paypal, ustream, and blogtv. I’m still holding off on Myspace, Imeem, Facebook, YM and Friendster. Now I sleep more but still not enough. Mainly because several of my favorite videos have been removed and may be lost forever. I hope someone will re-upload those rare videos of Charice for the benefit of her new fans. I communicate daily with worldwide chasters getting updates and promoting Charice.

The highlight was meeting Charice in San Jose (Day 422). Thanks Charice!

500 days, 2 hours, 5 minutes of chaddiction and counting….

• ArrVee says:
      grumpq , I can’t help commenting on your comment because it rings so true with me, especially the “WHO IS THAT GIRL?!! ” reaction. My exclamation exactly (I discovered her while watching “The Hitman” on TV). And the mad googling and watching her videos after that, asking for more and more, expletives here and there with awe about her performances, and wondering how she managed to slip under my radar all this time. And how she changed my sleep patterns.

you even got me to google SOTR … :-)

9. eve says:
    I loved your article kingkong. It made me cry. Regrets that you didn’t get a chance to meet Charice at the Vancouver concert. I recall MommyRaqz saying that she was looking forward to meeting you there, she was also very touched by your story when Noellen forwarded it to her. Well, I added your story above to make it easy for others to find and enjoy once again! And links to other personal stories as well.

This little one, Charice, has impacted so many of our lives in profound ways. I’m so proud of Charice, every day I’m always eager to find news and share it with all our readers. I’m glad that I found CM and could relate to these stories to let me know I wasn’t the only one who stayed up all hours of the night searching youtube videos. You mean, other people are as gaga over this girl as I am! What a revelation that freed me to not be a closet chaster. lol Now I have all my favorites and I still stay up late to watch them over again. And there are people out there who don’t think I’m crazy for doing so.

Charice really is a phenomenon in more ways than just her singing talent. She amazes us with her singing and she has the power to change lives, like yours kingkong. I’m so glad you could turn your life around so dramatically. I admire Mom Raqz for raising such a solid human being and nurturing Charice’s talent so faithfully. May God continue to shower blessings on this very special family.

10. kingkong98270 says:
    Well, I have posted an artical on how I found our Princess. It was posted in October. You can find it on page 11 here, and it’s called “Charice: You Made Me Smile. As an update, I am still employed, sober, and got to see Charice in concert in Vancouver. I was supposed to go to the meet and greet and the luncheon the next day, but had a bad cold and didn’t want to inffect Charice. I hope I get another chance when she starts doing her concert tour someday. Peace!!

• noellen says:
      haha,, Kingkong,,, your story made me cry,,, I believe you are to see Charice some other time,..

Noellen

• max says:
      King Kong,

I am glad you are doing well. You sound like your life is under control. Thanks for letting us know.

I, too, have not yet seen Charice live yet, but I believe we both will have other chances.

• ArrVee says:
      kingkong98270, I remember your article and your story. I’m glad that you are doing well and that you have shared this update with us. Stories like yours let the rest of us know that we are not alone in our struggles.

11. SDC says:
    I first heard charice sing in Little Big Star. I have supported her all the way, got upset when she lost, and was so happy when she came back to the show. However, as the story goes, she ends up getting “third place.” Extreme disappointment shot through me. I remember sitting there talking about how those judges were blind and only looked at outer appearance and money when they picked the winners. “This isn’t a friggin’ beauty contest, for crying out loud,” my cousin said. LOL..

But anyway she’s in a completely different situation now and I am more than happy for her. I saw talent that night and I wasn’t wrong (the judges were).rofl. I now go and sit on my desk everyday, go on youtube, type charice on the search box and look for new videos of her and when there’s none, I am equally happy and satisfied to watch old ones. Her energy, her angelic voice, her humility, and her sweetness – all combines to form this force that pulls us all to her. I am not afraid to say that I am addicted. In fact, I am proud to say that I am addicted and in love with her, I AM PROUD TO BE A CHASTER.

12. gunrunner says:
    my discovery of charice was purely due to curiosity. my idols were sarah, rachelle ann go, carol banawa, sitti etc. i love divas great voices. i heard a lot about charice but never really heard her sing not even in lbs. i decided to check her video in you tube particularly the ones that started everything.. false voice videos (thanks to him) since then all my previous idols faded in oblivion and obscurity. the voice of charice filled my life as if no more voice can console my heart. charice gives me that metaphysical connection with the spiritual, a sort of transcendental journey leaving all my pains and worries behind , a journey towards that bliss upon hearing an angelic voice caressing one’s soul. too much for words to describe. her purity and innocence made me love the beauty of life cause she struggled through life untarnished. my life have never been the same again. thanks charice

• luvkcha09 says:
      gunrunner,

You are so poetic! I agree with you she is untarnished and innocent even now. Hope hollywood and showbiz does not corrupt her.

• gunrunner says:
        luvkcha09, im a poet in my own little way i have published some of my poems in fact. my wish is write a poem for charice and recite it in one of chasters gathering. she is an inspiration and i could write tons of verses praising my princess

13. capofret says:
    okay, i finally have the time to write this.
    My CHARICE Review – the next big star

Highlights of what i wrote:
    -How I became Charice’s fan?
    -FASCINATING FACTS ABOUT CHARICE
    -THE VOICE
    -HER MOVEMENTS
    -OVERALL PERFORMANCE
    -WHAT SETS HER APART FROM HER CONTEMPORARIES AND OTHER SINGERS?
    -MY FEARLESS FORECAST

i wanted to post it here but the space may not be enough.. so just check out my blog. it’s incomplete though, i wanted to write more…maybe i need a part 2. oh, she also inspired me to write again.

i also like reading some other posts here. funny, we all have something in common: CHADDICTION! haha!

• Max says:
      capofret,

I agree your blog enter is too large to fit into a comment here. You did a lot of research and wrote a fantastic Charice 101 for new fans.

I think a lot of fans would like to read an excerpt here of how you discovered Charice. Also, I would encourage you to submit an article to Team Charicemania for consideration to be published.

• capofret says:
        Hi max, thanks for reading. it’s not actually research, it’s more of what i just learned based from anything i could read about about her and my observations on her videos.

if you want, you can publish it here..maybe just remove the youtube links.

and yes maybe sometime i will submit an article here. i like reading articles here btw. thanks for this site

• luvkcha09 says:
      Wow capofret,

You just echoed exactly what I feel towards Charice. Keep writing, I like the organization and clarity of your writing.

14. schoen says:
    CHARICE SENT TO ME PER EMAIL:

November 2007. A former colleague sent me an email with the link of Charice’s performance on Star King show in South Korea. So I did watch it. WOW! I have never regretted it. I was so surprised! I didn´t even realize what it was. It was indescribably beautiful. This little girl, so full of self-confidence! This tremendous voice, which comes only from this tiny little body?

I started to do a research about her on Google, Youtube, MyVideo.de, etc. She even has more videos. Then followed by an appearance on Ellen’s show just before Christmas: Standing Ovation! London Paul O’Grady Show in April 2008: Standing Ovation! Oprah Winfrey Show in May 2008: Standing Ovation! She sung a song by Whitney Houston „I Have Nothing“. It blew me me away literally! Goosebumps! I felt so nervous for her, just by watching! How could it be? How could she reach the high notes? Full of emotions! Full of passion! It has everything.

Someone suggested that I should write about the changes in my life because of Charice. How Charice has influenced my life and how much my fascination about Charice has changed my life. But nobody will want to read it I thought. People would think I´m crazy. My story of discovering Charice is not that spectacular, maybe even too boring compared to the comments I read before.

But because of Charice, I started a blog. I learned how to blog! That´s really something for me. How was my life before I´ve known Charice? Actually, I am happy and blessed. I can´t describe otherwise. I have enough to do in my life. But somehow, I still manage to have extra time. So after I read the news, I´m following the news about Charice. Sometimes there´s nothing. I waited for her appearances being posted on Youtube, eagerly anticipated and celebrated by fans, commented, discussed, criticized, argued about , amused, and so on and so forth. FOr these performances, the time´s being sacrified.

I have learned a lot because of my interest in Charice. What has changed since then in my life? Charice has brought back the music in my life. I have never sung in a long time nor really listen to real music. She brought back many songs from my childhood and youth days back. Her voice penetrates in my heart. I think because she sings from the heart. She has a soul, which touches many people, only by her voice. It is not unusual for me anymore, that her voice has brought me to tears.

Because of Charice, I have known many interesting people. Friends are now included. They´re helping me in answering some questions. I´m careful though, because it´s not only peace, joy and harmony. We could indeed be upset about everything and nothing. But in the end, the main thing prevails, the interest in Charice. She brings her admirers and followers together (not always). Now that´s what I call an accomplishment.

With Charice in my life, I have less time than before. Because I wouldn´t want to miss her performances and the latest news. And as a volunteer in Charicemania, Chasters.us plus my German blog, I have a mission to accomplish: spread Charice´s name worldwide!

Thank you for taking your time to read my discovery of Charice! More power.

Schoen

15. drtp says:
    I discovered Charice when a friend emailed me a link of her guest appearance in Oprah. When I watched the clip of Charice singing Note to God, I was dumbfounded. It then led me to relentlessly search for practically anything and everything about her in the web until the wee hours of the night. After weeks of being hooked to the internet, I have undeniably become what they call a Chaddict. Since then, I have learned to truly appreciate Charice in many ways. I am at awe with her versatility and ability to deliver spectacular performances. I am amused at how much she can be quirky and playful. And I marvel at her perseverance and resiliency in overcoming life difficulties at a very young age. Her struggles exemplify how many aspects of society and modern life have become unjust. But, her daily stories of triumphs, against all odds, represent hope that can inspire many to dream. Thus, I am amazed at how Charice has touched many lives, including mine. For me, I was able to realize my own misgivings and vulnerabilities. As a result, the day I discovered Charice marked the day I started to re-discover myself.

• ArrVee says:
      i think you hit the nail on the head, drtp – that we discovered ourselves when we discovered Charice – and that is why it has been quite a personal, touching and profound experience for each of us. We were able to reconnect with ourselves, becoming more aware of and comfortable with our strengths and weaknesses, and somehow more inspired to carry on.

in the process, i think we also discovered how much alike we all are, and despite our differences in background, culture or upbringing, that we share the same basic ideals and aspirations, and personal challenges.

16. migibana says:
    I was watching Oprah and heard her sing Note to God and I was bitten by the Charice bug, how could someone sing so beautiful so strong with such depth and be so young, well still not sure how, but I am enjoying watching and hearing her sing every song and then to meet her in person you actually feel her humbleness and just want to do everything you can to make her dream continue , labyo labyo Charice god bless you and all your family .

17. I discovered my Idol Charice from her IWALY show in Korea’s Star King while randomly browsing the Internet. After viewing that performance and hearing her voice, I got hooked. I deserted all my other favorite singers and become an avid Chaster – Chasing behind every single foot steps of her. And sometimes, I also like to call her Ming. LOL :-)

18. Marcus says:
    Ok, here is my story and I’m sticking to it. I married a filipina and brought her to the states, we will call her Glenda (becasue that’s her name). Ok so, one day I was telling Glenda how much I enjoy Celine Dion’s singing and Glenda says some kid in the Philippines named Charice sings as good as Celine. I was like “No WAAAYYYY” and Glenda was like “WAAAAYYYY”….. So suuuure, I looked her up on youtube and saw the Star King Korean gig after which I said something to the effect of “Holy Crap”….I was never very articulate. Glenda told me the Lil Biggie Star Story which I found to be a sad story. Then I found and downloaded every Oprah episode and I was both tormented and ecstatic for Charice. Since that day, about a year ago or so, I have watched every video I can find and followed Charice’s every public move. I buy everything Charice, lol. Thing is, after 20 years of police work (now retired) and over time becoming one cynical burned out piece of humanity, I feel new life through Charice. Her story brings a multitude of feelings back into me that were lost so long ago. I love that “lil” girl and I am a lifetime fan.

19. luvkcha09 says:
    Please do not take this feature out. Keep it in the front always because it is very inspiring reading. It is good to hear Chasters stories. It makes it more personal and you can really feel the connection among people. I don’t have time to go chatting with others but I can always come back in this page and reconnect as I read these stories:)
    Thanks Max.

20. BlueBird says:
    I discovered Charice about 2 years ago. I used to watch a lot of Korean variety shows like X-MAN and Loveletter on YouTube :) and once those shows ended I started searching for new ones and I had found the show Star King. I had stumbled upon the episode with Charice in it and I was completely amazed by her voice and stage presence. I even ran downstairs to show my brothers who also love watching those shows. I think I watched that performance for the rest of the day, then later searched for other videos. I pretty much spent the majority of 2008 and 2009 watching Charice’s videos on YouTube for hours and hours everyday and every night, so much that my sisters thought I was crazy lol :) Now I can’t go a day without watching Charice every morning and every night, it’s just become such a significant part of my daily life. Just everything about her makes me smile :) and I’m sure I will be living in Cha-ddiction for the rest of my life..

• max says:
      Bluebird,

Ha ha, I think it can safely be said that you suffer from Chaddictionism. There is no known cure, but not to worry, it is not fatal.

21. luvkcha09 says:
    Hello Chasters,

I am a big fan of music but I did not listen to music much since the 90′s cause that’s when I went abroad to work, got married, had children. So the last I know were Whitney, Celine, Barbra , and whoever I heard on the radio but I was not really following anyone like a fan. I followed AI when it was new, and occasionally watch X-Factor so I heard of Susan Boyle.

Up until 3 months ago, I was a silent admirer of Charice, I just learned about Youtube and I happened to find Charicemania and began reading up. I liked reading people’s comments here as the postings are more polite, sensible than on YT and then I started to send my thoughts as well.

So here is my contribution to this topic. I can’t pinpoint the exact date when I became a Chaddict but I recall last summer July 2009 when I heard a friend of mine casually mention about Charice. At that time my radar was in tune for Arnel Pineda and Journey so I was really googling Arnel and bought their Journey Album. And then I stumbled on Arnel and Charice duet singing ALONE on a Phil TV show. At that time too Susan Boyle was a hit on YT so for awhile I was googling her too. Charice performance on StarKing showing her singing And I am Telling You (at that time I just watched Jennifer Hudson’s Oscar winning performance on Dreamgirls in the movie theater) so I had someone to compare hers with. My first observation was, WOW she can sing and much more – she has confidence at 15 yrs. old, she acted like a seasoned superstar with all the right moves and stage presence and control esp her high notes…she is jubilant, playful, and sang with abandon like she is giving the greatest performance of her life!!! Where is her album? Why did I not hear of her before? Even though I live in Canada, I do follow the Phil showbiz – and sometimes we have Phil. Celebrities come to Vancouver and do concerts which I never bothered to go to. Too busy with kids and work and I was never too crazy for celebrities anyway.

So I would continue to google anything about Charice for a couple of months. I saw her story on MMK and Oprah and Ellen guesting and all the information put together and all my observations from Charice interviews and what people have said about her and watching all her different perfomances of the same songs in different venues for DFF and all the guestings for charitable organizations. Put all these together and all the hours and hours spending time with her on YT and CM and Phils blog (my latest source of info) has completely and utterly altered my life. I am hopelessly devoted to Charice now and I will ALways Love her and Nothing completes my day without my dose of Charicetamines..

I had surgery in Nov. and I lay in bed for two weeks and I did nothing but listen to Charice on YT. She is my therapy, my escape and my inspiration. I say this because last year too my husband suffered a stroke and heart attack at such a young age and I can’t tell you how much Charice has comforted me through last year. My hubby had his bypass surgery (4 weeks ago) finally and it is still a long ways before he is completely back to normal.

I am grateful to all Chasters and to Charice because the YT postings that Charice fans creates and shares on YT has been my solace and my outlet. I would sit til midnight just watching and crying and de-stressing and let Charice voice soothe and calm my troubled spirit. Of course I have faith in God and pray too. When DFF came to Vancouver Nov 8th, I missed that concert cause I was sick and I had surgery a week after that. I watched the show on YT the following day. My children and husband were sympathetic with me since they knew I really wanted to see her concert.

I was crying and happy for Charice that finally she will be respected and accepted for her person and talents and people will receive what she has to offer. She is pouring her heart and soul every time she sings and she makes me weep. Well I found out that I am not alone in my feelings toward her and Charice has the same effect not only to me but to all those who have posted their stories here and to all the others who are silent fans.

When I saw Oprah’s interview with Whitney Houston, I thought of Charice. I silently prayed that Charice will not go through that kind of pain that WH went through, not the experiences that some of the young celebrities go through when they find fame and fortune at a young age and they self-destruct. Of course, all human beings are not immune to temptation, it’s just that the higher you are the farther you fall and it is a public spectacle. Why should I even care? But I do care cause I feel protective of Charice like she is my own daughter. I love her as a person not just a singer. I admire her fearlessness and her humility and her confidence and her dreams! She dares to dream! I am inspired by that because how many of us stopped dreaming and accepted what life has given us? I can live vicariously through her now as she pursues and achieves her dreams.

She is the greatest ambassador of the Philippines, she has done more for the Philippines than anybody. She has conducted herself impeccably in all her dealings with the rich and famous and ordinary folks. She has harbored no hatred, she just wanted the freedom to express herself, and for people (esp her countrymen) to accept her and respect her and not look at her appearance for which she has no control over (it is genetics) but to see her talents which she honed and worked hard to develop with the help of her mother. It is a shame that it took other nations to recognize and appreciate her before she can go home triumphant. Well, we all know the rest of this unfolding story.

Like Boy Abunda said, Charice’s story is the story of Filipinos too. Those of us who had to leave our country and seek life elsewhere understand what he meant. Sometimes, it takes a lot of sacrifices before your true talents can be appreciated and you have to work doubly hard to prove yourself and keep proving yourself. Charice has proven herself, and we all hope and pray that she will fulfill her destiny. Such a gift and a burden on a tiny girl. And we will be there for her like an extended family. Guardian angels will be there to keep her safe.

Thank you Chasters who post videos on YT, you are so creative and keep improving! To Admin of this site, to kindred spirits out there. Lets spread love and kindness.

I am also learning about YT and blogs, and most importantly my children and I are talking about music and slowly they are coming in my corner about Charice. My daughter is asking me turn off the lights now and go to sleep.:)
    Til next time.

• mrsharbort says:
      thank you for this, I cried with you. With all our prayers, your husband will be well in no time. I have witnessed the power of the Chasters. It is immense. We will be one in prayers. God bless you.

• luvkcha09 says:
        Mrsharbort,
        Thank you – I have to go back and read your posted story again. Thank you for your prayers and friendship. You are kindred spirit.Perhaps we shall meet one day:)

• Max says:
      luvkcha09,

Wow, You said it all. Comments like yours are interspersed throughout this article. Some are like yours, about not only how you discovered Charice, but what a profound effect she has had on your life.

• luvkcha09 says:
        You know Max, I feel like you are a friend already. Maybe we shall meet one day in one of Charice’s concerts?
        Thank for you for your good thoughts!

• ArrVee says:
      luvkcha09 – thanks for sharing your touching experience.

I think you should post this as an article (don’t you think, Max?), as you have touched on so many important points, the most touching of which is how she has affected you on a personal level. Many of us are still searching for words to describe this, and reading your story helps others piece together their own experiences.

as well, I think you will find that writing about her will be therapeutic for you as well … :-)

22. hyu says:
    when i start to saw here in singing contest in one of the noontime show of abs, bulilit star quest i think, her performance in her age is too owesome, un explainable and very interesting, from that i promise to my self that i will follow her career coz i know that she will make it on the million of crowd someday, despite of all hindrances , and now look at here i adore her too much she inspired me in her humble starting of to the top of her succes,

23. Robertson says:
    when i hear her voice…. i got some incredible goosebumps woahh.. weird..

24. camo says:
    i was home drawing had the tv on the ellen show ,then i heard her say wait till u hear this 15yr old sing u will be blown away.i quickly went to to the fridge got a drink and waited for commercials to be done.then ellen introduced her. when she started sing my mouth was wide open i was floored good thing i was sitting down.when she was finished i wanted to know more so i went on youtube and was amazed. i fell in love right away.saw her again on oprah and she didnt disappoint have been hooked ever since u can say i am a certified chaddict.

25. Bads_ says:
    I went to yahoo.com.ph to look up some biographical info on Karel Marquez because I wanted to know what school she went to, then I saw some youtube links to Charice Pempengco’s Star King performance so I clicked it and was amazed, then a few months later heard about her Ellen guesting and saw the YT video and was floored, and then not long after… Oprah. And then I just started looking up her bio and fansites and started interacting with fellow chasters and have been a true fan ever since.

Justin

26. paris12eric says:
    Hi, I am from France. I discovered Charice through the DVD the Hitman, then in YouTube. Still waiting the release of her new album, hope she will go far in her international career.

• eve says:
      Welcome, I assume Eric? from Paris. That was an incredible performance on the Hitman show, about the same time that I discovered Charice as well. I was stunned as was the audience when they gave her a thunderous standing ovation twice!! for the two songs that she performed. I think at that time, Charice was still new to American audiences and not used to getting standing O’s so the look on her face just melted my heart. It was a very moving moment similar to her holding back the tears after her duet with Celine Dion at Madison Square Garden. Please visit and write again at CM.

Did you happen to see the post-show comments from Hitman? just what we’ve all come to expect whereever Charice performs before a new audience… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhlIqgivD9A

• Eric says:
        Hi Eve, thanks for the link. Her performance in Las Vegas was very impressive. She sang deep from her heart and thanks to her voice talent, she can express her feeling to the audience. She was more than 100%. She has a lot of charisma on stage, natural but also confident. It must be very impressive to see her live. Then when I discovered more about her videos in YouTube, I am surprised that she always give more than 100% whatever the audience is. She is born for singing. Her characteristic is being able to transmit her passion. Listeners can feel it.

27. Max says:
    earmitt,

I believe your condition may be known as Chaddictionism. That is what happens when our princess spreads Chasticity as she performs.
    The only known cure is not really a cure, more of a relaxant. It is to listen to her, watch her perform, and tell the world about Charice.

Thanks for a great story.

28. earmitt says:
    December 2007
    I was in my room reading with the door slightly opened. I could hear the tv from our living room running the noontime show ASAP. I wasn’t paying attention to it because rarely does the show offer anything new, unless it was Gary V. or Jed Madela. Suddenly my ears tuned in to someone singing. I just shrugged and said to myself that Sarah’s voice(mainstay singer) got way better now,but as she sang there’s a growing doubt in my mind that it wasn’t her. It was clearer and can hit higher notes. I was not able to help myself, i had to go see and check. To my surprise it wasn’t Sarah, it was a girl i’m not familiar with. After the song, the name Charice was shouted and there’s a mini interview. It was said that Ellen DeGeneres invited her.(My brows raised because that host i know!) My sister & I enjoy her show! I was a bit skeptical of the announcement that I told myself I would go to an internet cafe after school the next day to check.

Maybe I shouldn’t have done that at that time. Imagine seeing Charice’s performance from start to finish for the first time in public? I couldn’t explain what i felt. I was amazed, bursting with pride by the way Ms. Ellen & the audience welcomed her and feeling all the emotions that Charice is capable of expressing. I was teary eyed by the end of the video, my nose was running AND I had to be subtle about it because there were 2 people beside me less than a foot away!(embarrassing). That was really the start. I got hooked to her without knowing all issues surrounding her. It became my habit to check for a new video of hers whenever i can.

Next year after that, we were fortunate enough to be able to have an internet installed in our house. Unlimited time inside the virtual world led me to know more about Charice. I would google for blogs, news or articles about her. I became more up-to-date and would wait for her future performances. Charice was the reason i have youtube, twitter,& plurk accounts. I also signed up for the first time to a fansite! Indirectly through Charicemania i learned a lot of things in the internet, good & bad. I got to be aware of how some people would discredit talent because of envy & jealousy, of how judgemental people can be sometimes. I also learned that dreaming & believing in yourself with a dose of healthy humility can help a person survive all those negativity.

My sister & I are really excited for her upcoming album.(Ha! I also got my older sister to be as addicted.) We hope that it will help her grow more as a performer and wish that she will never get tire of performing her best to her audience. GO CHARICE! :D

• Joy Co says:
      Hi earmitt, according to your story, we discovered Charice at the same time. The only difference is that I was eating lunch with my husband in a Filipino fastfood place in Anaheim, California. I also had the same opinion about ASAP, and I also thought it was Sara Geronimo singing, but as the singing went on, I was convinced it was not her and so I looked up to see and check who it was. Alas, that was the first time I’ve seen Charice. Then they announced her guesting at the Ellen De Generes show. I became more excited and at the same time a little skeptical, more of fear of being a victim of false media publicity. My husband and I finished our lunch Pronto galore and headed home asap coz I wanted to google her up. You tube was the first stop. I saw the Star King episode. I was crying a lot, my body was shaking, and was laughing at the same time. My husband handed me some kleenex and was laughing at me. After all these years, he is so used to me being easily moved by other people’s experiences, TV/movie dramas etc. But I saw in his face, that he thinks this time might be a little different. His face though laughing, was also concerned a bit for me. He probably thought I had gone mad, lol.

Well, that was the beginning of my chaddiction. I get a temporary fix whenever I watch her on you tube, or play her DVD while I’m on the freeway, or when I visit Charicemania.

Just like you, she was the reason I registered in youtube, facebook, twitter, friendster, etc…. The most extreme I did, was becaming one of the moderators of a website. This is the one that is being managed by Warner Brothers now (and Kuya Mike). My schedule got hectic at work and with my studies so I have to relinquish the role to the more able Chasters.

Charice is the first artist that I have followed very closely and bought every CD and watched her at Gibson Theater, in California. And I intend to continue for as long as she sings.

• earmitt says:
        WOW!, so were kinda batchmates in chaddiction?! hehe, Glad to know we share the same experience. :)

It was a first for me as well to be a fan of someone. There are other artists or singers who amazed me before but I’m more of a casual fan & didn’t feel the need to look up their other performances.

29. veritas92 says:

<3<3<3

30. milesoka says:
    To Chasters, fans & visitors: Let’s make this Charice’s Note to God Oprah vid 500,000 hits before Charice’s 27Jun concert in PI. By your power, we can do 31,000 hits/day. Thank you very much. link to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4Xd435coD4