Categorized | Appearances, Editorial

CHARICE’S BEST FRIEND WINS WCOPA 2009

CHARICE’S BEST FRIEND WINS WCOPA 2009

1 blog wcopa grand finals with rhap salazarthe voices of negros and carlo orosa 75x75 CHARICES BEST FRIEND WINS WCOPA 2009Chasters congratulate Rhap Salazar for winning the  13th World Championships of Performing Arts (WCOPA) junior division and congratulations to all the winners and participants. Charice, we are very happy for you and for your best friend!

RHAP SALAZAR AND THE YOUNG VOICES OF NEGROS (PHILIPPINES) WIN TOP PRIZES AT 2009 WCOPA

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA. 17 July 2009. Team Philippines has done it again at the grand finals of the 13th World Championships of Performing Arts (WCOPA) held at the Westin Bonaventure in downtown, Los Angeles. ABS CBN’s original “Little Big Star” Brightest Star Rhap Salazar won the coveted titles Junior Grand Champion Solo Vocalist of the World, and the Junior Grand Champion Performer of the World. The vocal quartet The Young Voices of Negros won the title Junior Grand Champion Group Vocalists of the World.

12-year-old Rhap sang a one-minute version of Celine Dion’s “All By Myself” at the final show.

“Hours before the finals, Rhap’s voice was getting tired due to extensive rehearsals for two straight days. He did everything to conserve his voice. Despite the odds, he gave a stellar performance worthy of the top prizes in the junior division. The American judges were simply blown away by his soaring vocals,” said WCOPA Philippine National Director Carlo Orosa.

The judges at the grand finals were composed of high profile agents, record and television producers, choreographers, and Disney theme park directors in California and New York.

On the other hand, The Young Voices of Negros (Katrina, Kristina, Aissa and Kristopherson Madrigal) performed a highly polished rendition of “And I Am Telling You,” from the musical “Dreamgirls, in four-part harmony.

WCOPA’s newest junior champions Rhap and The Young Voices of Negros will be featured on ABC’s “Good Morning America” through the “My Life in Three Words” segment.

Team Philippines’ junior vocalist Mayumi Morales, and senior vocalists Martha Joy and CJ Concepcion also competed at the grand finals.

Kimverle Molina of Saudi Arabia won the title Senior Grand Champion Vocalist of the World while Jo Robinson of Australia won the titles Senior Grand Champion Intrumentalist of the World, and the Senior Grand Champion Performer of the World though.

Other members of Team Philippines Maila Mitra, Evette Pabalan, Oreo Vamenta, Divo Bayer, and Guy Lockwood made it to the semi-finals.

During the weeklong competition, Filipino celebrities showed their support for the team – Isay Alvarez, Louie Reyes, Butch Jimenez, Tricia Jimenez, and Rhap’s best friend Charice Pempengco were among them.

“Filipino talent is highly regarded as world class. This being my last year as WCOPA Philippine National Director, I feel so blessed and honored to have produced three Junior Grand Champion Performers of the World – Aria Clemente in 2007, Catherine Loria in 2008, and Rhap Salazar this year. My heartfelt thanks to all our sponsors, my co-workers Oliver Oliveros and Judith Bueno, STAGES, and most especially to the Office of the President, Her Exellency Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo for supporting us every year,” said Orosa.

“Television producer and director Kitchie Benedicto will be taking my position as WCOPA Philippine National Director starting next year. I know that the triumph our country has earned will be cared for by director Benedicto,” added Carlo.

Since the Philippines joined the WCOPA in 2005, seven Filipino performing artists have won the global competition’s top prizes: Jed Madela (2005 Grand Champion Vocalist of the World and Grand Champion Performer of the World), The Cercado Sisters (2006 Grand Champion Group Vocalists of the World), Reymond Sajor (2007 Grand Champion Vocalist of the World), Aria Clemente (2007 Grand Champion Vocalist of the World and Grand Champion Performer of the World), Catherine Loria (2008 Grand Champion Vocalist of the World and Grand Champion Performer of the World), and Rhap Salazar and The Young Voices of Negros this year.

For a complete list of winners, visit www.wcopa.com.

President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo through the President’s Social Fund, STAGES, photographer Jason Tablante, Moomba Bar and Café, Trumpets Musicademy, Le Froge, and ABS CBN support 2009 WCOPA Team Philippines.

Charice Congratulates Rhap Salazar

by:DemoMemoDude

Source: Oliver Oliveros Blog

Submitted by: Eve and noellen

48 Responses to “CHARICE’S BEST FRIEND WINS WCOPA 2009”

1. uniform says:

They say that, Madrigal says something bad about the Bacolod’s mayor at the Lion’s Club, Is it true or just a humor???

2. jimfan155 says:

Hi drtp

Rhap played Charice’ brother I believe in the Filipino tv special about her life story. I believe he is one of her best friends and she is always excited to see him. She is very loyal and just another thing I love about her.

3. drtp says:

#45 I agree with you Jimfan155. This video is in my youtube “favorites.” Interestingly, I didn’t know Rhap could sing until recently. I just found out that he won the junior division (I think…) of Little Big Star. I guess because of that he was a able to acquire a contract with ABS-CBN. But instead of giving him singing breaks, he was casted as a comedian in a soap playing a boy with a very heavy provincial accent. Go figure…

4. jimfan155 says:

One of the best duets I have ever heard from Charice and it was with Rhap (Sorry Celine, Andrea, Arnel and all the rest).

I’m sure most have you have seen it already, but if you haven’t you’re in for a treat.

5. siane says:

yeh, lucky guys those lift charice to the stage and from the stage..lol…

6. mayachico says:

Congratulations Rhap!

7. aaalo says:

Have you vote forNTG cover contest yet? I checked all singers on the list and recomamd:
    2youmahal(8 years old)
    dotyann0827
    It is unfair to put Angelicav1 on contest,a Canadian singer listed on itune,has her own album.with fan club.

8. max says:

Chasters,

There are ONLY NINE DAYS LEFT to enter Charicemania’s “DownLoad Note to God” contest. Wouldn’t it be a dream to take your wife or favorite friend to a meet and greet session with Charice, and watch her concert from some of the best seats in the house.

For full details and to enter please click this link:

9. phantom-saipan says:

To Osuna @ 36,
    You’re right on the money, so be it, alleluah.

God bless Charice,Oprah,Sir David, managemant team and supporters of Charice,Arnel,Gary V, Jed Madela,Team Philippines WCOPA, Kim Molina and Charice fans all over the world.

10. Eve says:

you tell it girl! Osuna @36, I second the motion… hope to see more comments from you again in the future. I never knew who he was before and I still don’t care to know! He is hereafter banished from memory, haha

So does anybody know when is the Good Morning America show that Rhap will appear in?

11. max says:

Team Charicemania NEEDS YOUR HELP. If you have not yet entered the “Download Note to God” contest, you are missing a GREAT opportunity to win tickets to a Charice concert of your choice, an acoustical guitar autographed by our princess, and other great prizes. All you have to so to be eligible is complete the entry form in the article. Wouldn’t it be a dream to take your favorite wife or friend to a meet and greet session with Charice, and watch her concert from some of the best seats in the house.

It is easy to earn raffle tickets. There are two ways:

1. For every ten (10) NTG downloads, contestants will receive two (2) raffle tickets. This, of course, will cost you $9.90 US currency. NTG can be downloaded from amazon.com or iTunes.com

2. Write a post about this contest on your blog/forum and mention all the prizes with links to Charicemania.com and receive one (1) raffle ticket. This is the easy one. Simply “Buzz Up” from one of the “Buzz Buttons” at the end of the “Download NTG Contest” article.

3. Either way you choose, to complete the entry form, go to the page showing the results of your buzz or purchase and save the page as an HTML file. Click the Browse button on the “Proof of Payment” (file upload) line and upload the HTML file.

An email confirmation of your successful entry will be sent shortly after you submit the form. So enter as many times as you want, just save the HTML file to a different blog or media each time. Please hurry! The contest entry deadline is July 31, 2009 @ 12 p.m.

For full details and to enter please click this link:

12. tony says:

charice, is such a class act for refusing the photo-op. i would have done the same thing (refused)! wouldnt you do the same? charice knows too well that its not the right time and place for publicity or what not. she fully understand the situations and this is one of her good qualities i adore and love about this young super human being. CONGRATULATIONS TO TEAM PHILIPPINES AND TO KIM MOLINA OF SAUDI ARABIA!!!

13. osuna says:

Freddie Aguilar name has no place in this topic, please do not inject his name on this glorious moment. One despicable person of the Philippines with no regards to his fellow entertainer. We all love this contestants. Don’t fan the flame anymore. That name don’t exist anymore.

14. ArrVee says:

JimFan155@33:

same things were going through my mind – she is quite sensitive, mature and classy enough, never mind for her age, to not steal their thunder. She knows what power she wields and knows what responsibility comes with it.

I believe she declined the photo-op because it was the team behind the Philippine flag that was in the background, and having been photographed in that context would have had that negative effect, at least in her mind. Notice that she did not even look at the audience while she was onstage – she just went up there to congratulate her friend and quickly went down again. This makes me admire her even more.

If it were a private photo-op, she might have agreed to do so. And it would have been an honor to be photographed with her.

15. blackrose says:

i noticed rhap was crying hugging charice…tears of joy…

16. jimfan155 says:

First, Congratulations Rhap. You are a worthy and deserving champion.

A couple observations.

1- When I saw “The Young Voices of Negros” also won, I must admit I wondered about their name. But before jumping to conclusions, one must find out the facts and how the name was selected. When I read the explanation (Thank you Joy C) any negativity was quickly erased. But how many times have I put my foot in my mouth by jumping to conclusions, by not waiting for clarifications. Countless and something I have to work on.

2- When Charice declined the photo op. 2 things passed through my mind.
    A) What a classy thing to do and the right thing to do. This simple act caused tears to well up in my eyes (Charice, whenever you do the right thing, it always gets to me). To allow Rhap and the others bask in the limelight, in their moment – how can anyone find fault with that?

B) Now, if I were a winner, and Charice was there, I would love to have my picture taken with her. If this was the only time I would ever get the opportunity to have a picture with her, I would do so. On my biggest day to have my picture taken with potentially one of the biggest stars in the world, I gotta go for it. (Of course, Rhap has an album full already – but the others?). Hopefully, they had the chance to get a picture afterwards, in private.

17. blackrose says:

congratulations to the philippine team….to rhap slazar and kimverlie molina congratulations to the both of you for winning the grand prize and to those who weren’t able to get the grand prize congratulations too…

Negros is a name of an island in the philippines within visayas…

18. nuclear blast says:

Mr Freddie Aguilar will not surely please with what these kids accomplished mainly because the winning songs they performed was not “tagalog”.therefore please don’t be surprised if you eventually recieves a strong negative critic from him.