Categorized | Editorial, Featured Artist, Music

My Mommy, My Idol

My Mommy, My Idol

charice 75x75 My Mommy, My IdolBy Charice Pempengco – Pinoy Showbiz Magazine

It’s exciting to be in the world of entertainment because I love singing. Even though some people think that I have already become a star, I am and will always be a fan and admirer of inspiring and truly talented singers and entertainers here in the Philippines and abroad.

We Filipinos are natural singers and musicians. I believe the Philippines is really a land of good musicians. Ordinary people here love to sing, especially on the videoke. Another country I’ve been to which I admire for good music is Italy. I can’t forget when I guested on the TV show of Oprah Winfrey, she remarked to me: “Little girl with the big voice.” But if you go to Italy, that’s one place where you can finds lots of small people with big voices.

Of all the singers in the whole world, my No. 1 idol is Celine Dion mainly because of her attitude and for what she has achieved. Despite being an international superstar, she was very motherly towards me; she treated me like a daughter. She even gave me her cell phone number. (The Canadian singer invited Charice to sing Celine’s international hit, Because You Loved Me, with her during her concert at the Madison Square Garden last year. Ed.)

The other international singing sensation whom I sincerely adore is Whitney Houston, not only because of her tremendous talent, but also because I sang her popular song, I Will Always Love You, in amateur contests—and won many times.

Among our Philippine singing stars, I admire Sarah Geronimo whom I call “Ate Sarah.” She is such a good person. Whenever we would meet, she’s the one who would go out of her way to greet me, so I’m very honored. Whenever Ate Sarah sings, you can really feel the emotions of her song. I love listening to her extraordinary singing voice. She is just so talented. I am grateful for and will never forget Ate Sarah’s advice to me: Huwag daw lumaki ang ulo ko, to always be humble.

The other local singing diva whom I admire a lot is Regine Velasquez. She’s already a legend and everybody idolizes her including my mother Raquel “Kaye” Relucio Pempengco. My mommy has bought almost all of Ate Regine’s CDs and tapes and watched her videos. She’s a sweet person. Not many people know that she’s actually a shy person. Her voice is so powerful—sweet but powerful. Before our trip to Los Angeles last February, Ate Regine invited me to dinner at her home and cooked carbonara for us. She’s an amazingly good cook, too!

Ate Regine’s advice is for me to stay on in the United States, because she said that’s where the big opportunities are for singing. However, at the moment, I have no plans to migrate to the US. I just travel back and forth because I’m not yet sure what the future of my career will be there, and I really love being here in the Philippines.

Source link: Pinoy Showbiz Magazine

Posted by GM

47 Responses to “My Mommy, My Idol”

1. noellen says:

Yeah, we have the same thought on that girlfriend thing.. hhehe..

I called him once and asked about the name Charice,, he replied like,” the small girl like you?,, see,, she can sing for the world!.. and you,, you never sing for me..” then he started to nag me… Hay,,. I’m missing him really..

2. LoloLando says:

To Noellen,

I hope we have in mind the same definition of a “girlfriend”. And if we have, I just could’nt imagine how he is able to keep and exhibit those youthful vigors while in the company of his great, grand children. Ohhh, you’re joking me. But no, he may have a very strong and powerful mind to slacken the pace of his “biological clock”. Yah, he might have cracked the formula for that legendary “fountain of youth”.

Reality check…. Let him see that first CHARICE performance in Korea and look intently if he develops goosebumps. If so, truly, truly, he still has that IT THING…….I mean “ear for good music”. Ooophh, I almost tripped on my adjective.

I tell you, woman, you can gain wisdom quickly while conversing with “elders” here in CHARICEMANIA.

Good day…..

3. noellen says:

hahaha… funny, funny… max..

Now I have to call my grandpa and tell him about you… surely he will agree….

4. Max says:

LoloLando, how in the world did I miss this comment until now? I must be slipping (old age?).

Not according to your definitions, am I old. I must be about 16 going on 17. I hope my biological clock keeps ticking for many years yet. But when the time comes, I am going to race into the finish with a good glass of wine in my hand, a beautiful lady on my lap, sliding in sideways, and screaming hallelujah, Lord here I am.

I gotta say something about Charice, according to the rules.

CHARICE ROCKS. heheh

5. noellen says:

oh Lolo Lando…

I love you…

Thank you,,.. Ehehe… I will try to find that Reader’s Digest from my Lolo’s library,,. thank you..

Definitely… My lolo may have the same thinking as yours,.. Imagine,, he’s gotta girlfriends younger than her childeren and great grand children..

6. LoloLando says:

To Noellen and to other youngsters from this Site….

I have with me a piece of paper, which I am keeping for the past 30 years and have survived 10 wallets. In it is the definition of YOUTH, written by a European. I guess some Charicemanians have read this if they are subscribers of READERS DIGEST in the 70s. Me, I like the message so I kept it handy.

The title of this masterpiece is YOUTH.

Youth is not a time of life; it is a state of the mind. It is not a matter of rosy cheeks, red lips and supple knees; it is a matter of the will, a quality of the imagination, a vigor of the emotions. It is the freshness of the deep springs of life.

Youth means a temperamental predominance of courage over the timidity of the appetite, for adventure over the love of ease. This often exists in a man (woman) of 60 more than a boy of 16. Nobody grows old merely by a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals.

Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul. Worry, fear, self-distrust bow the heart and turn the spirit back to dust.

Whether 60 or 16,there is in every human being’s heart the lure of wonder, the unfailing childlike appetite of what’s next and the joy of the game of living. In the center of your heart and my heart, there is a wireless station: so long as it receives messages of beauty, hope, cheer, courage and power from men (women) and from the infinite, so long are you young.

When the aerials are down, and your spirit is covered with snows of cynicism and the ice of pessimism, then you are grown old, even at 16. But as long as your aerials are up, to catch waves of optimism, there is hope you may die young at 90.

Yes Max, age is how you feel it. So how is your biological body acting nowadays?

Peace be to all……

7. justcharrie says:

Here is the complete version of Charice’s article.

Posted by AmazingCP.

Thanks Amazing!

8. noellen says:

Hello Max..

My father just turned 48.. ehehe so am young.. yet I love reading your posts/comments in this site and so with others..

How I wish I will be there in LV for Charice.. I would be very happy to see her videos and posts soon indeed..

9. Max says:

Noellen,

What do you mean “old men”. Don’t you know that is just a figure of speech and you are as young as you feel? (just kidding) I enjoy your comments.

Jump in anytime, OMIE, Lolo, FLTom, Henri_v, JimFan and any others I may missed who are approaching senior citizen status.

BTW, my birthday is the23rd. I expect a cake with two candles on it for each year I have followed our princess.

With that I’m off for the day for a trip.

Cheers everybody………………………………

10. Max says:

JimFan,

How are you? After what YT did, I was afraid we may have lost you.

Thanks for these videos. “Keep trucking man” as 18WheelerEdy would say.

What is your new YT name, if I may ask?

11. noellen says:

Wow.. Lots of readers in charicemania was hooked up by Henri_V’s writing… how wonderful….

12. jemca037 says:

henry v. . . if everyone here is just like you, or if every fans of the three stars behave just like you, then this small world of ours will a better and happier place to live in. very much like our own charice in thoughts and deeds. sana dumami pa ang katulad mo!

13. p081875 says:

Henri_v,I enjoyed reading your comment. Very well said indeed. True, You too deserve a STANDING OVATION. Kudos. Greetings from Germany. By the way, thanks for those who ate behind this site and also to our princess Charice. Atleast because of Charice and Caricemania we are all bound to unite. I just love it. It helps me relieve my stress and homesick. Sorry for my english. Am not very good like others that’s why I seldom comment.

14. JaYrOx says:

Thanks Cha for the insights.. :))

15. FLTom says:

Thank you for mentioning my name in a positive light, henri_v. It feels good. I enjoyed a great deal your meditation on Charice, Sarah and Regine.

You know, I’m sure, since you’ve chosen the name henri_v, that the single greatest inspirational speech in the English language was delivered by Harry the King in 1415 before the Battle of Agincourt, at least according to Shakespeare. The day was Saint Crispin’s Day.

This day is called the Feast of Crispian:
    He that outlives this day, and comes safe home,
    Will stand a-tiptoe when the day is named,
    And rouse him at the name of Crispian.
    He that shall see this day and live t’old age,
    Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours,
    And say “To-morrow is Saint Crispian”:
    Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars

And say “These wounds I had on Crispin’s day.”
    Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot,
    But he’ll remember with advantages
    What feats he did that day. Then shall our names,
    Familiar in his mouth as household words
    Harry the King, Bedford and Exeter,
    Warwick and Talbot, Salisbury and Gloucester,
    Be in their flowing cups freshly remembered.
    This story shall the good man teach his son;

And Crispin Crispian shall ne’er go by,
    From this day to the ending of the world,
    But we in it shall be remembered;
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he today that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother; be he ne’er so vile,
    This day shall gentle his condition:
    And gentlemen in England now abed
    Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,
    And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
    That fought with us upon Saint Crispin’s day. (IV, iii)

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers (and sisters)….we were there when Charice began her journey, and gentlemen worldwide now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here! haha!

16. mrbright54 says:

To henri_v

Just like our idol, Charice, your comments deserved a standing ovation. Undeniably, this is the best comment I have ever read in this site and I know Max, Lololando & others will agree with me on that. I have always prayed that somebody would write something like what you have written and you are God’s answer to that prayer.

I definitely agree with the suggestion of Lololando, your comment deserve to be read by everyone visiting this site

You have one thing in common with Charice – humble and Godly.

Congrats again and keep on writing

17. Ratsafariana says:

Henri_v,

What can I say, a very intelligent post. I enjoyed reading it and please keep them coming.