Categorized | Featured Artist

Journey on The Ellen Degeneres Show

Arnel Pineda, 40,  was a professional singer with quite a reputation in Manila’s clubs. He looked set to join the legion of talented, but relatively unrewarded, singers who never make it big. But just one video of him on YouTube performing with his Zoo band in a Makati nightclub changed all that.

That’s because, he was noticed by Neal Schon in California. Schon is the founder and guitarist of the rock band Journey, who downloaded a clip of Pineda singing the band’s hit Faithfully on YouTube and knew that his search for a new frontman had ended.

But it has not always been this easy for two budding stars Arnel and Charice. Charice thought her music career was doomed when she lost a local singing competition in 2006. She got her ‘cyber break’ of a lifetime on YouTube when a clip of her singing Jennifer Holliday’s And I’m Telling You I am Not Going caught the attention of TV host Ellen DeGeneres and Grammy award winning producer David Foster.

Too Good To Be True

Schon wrote on the band’s website: ‘After watching the video over and over again, I had to walk away from the computer and let what I heard sink in because it sounded too good to be true.’

The band flew Pineda to San Francisco in August for an audition. Pineda said: ‘Unbelievably, they embraced my voice. They said this guy is genuine and I really got the gig.’

Now he will join the band for a series of concerts in Europe, U.S. and South America, kicking off in Chile. Pineda said: ‘It’s like I am dreaming…Except that I am awake’.

7 Responses to “Journey on The Ellen Degeneres Show”

1. Don says:

Check the comment I posted on the topic journey on the ellen de generes show where I posted the CBS website to read the whole interview of the Journey Band in the Sunday morning show.

2. Anonymous says:

***comment from the chat room

How can i attach a journey interview at CBS Sunday Morning Show coz I save it in my computer as favorite?????

3. Anonymous says:

***comment from the chat room

Anybody recorded the Joureny interview at CBS Sunday This Morning Show please attached in the blog coz it was very touching on Arnel’s part . I wish they sang at least one of their new songs on the show but its plainly interview of the group and is prerecorded but it was really nice .

4. don says:

You can check a recent interview with the Journey Band at CBS Sunday Morning Show this Sunday at http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/06/01/sunday/main4142967.shtml

5. rlf says:

Was Arnel being invited to the NY events? It will be great… i think it is not late yes… unless he is not available that day!

6. rey paran says:

arnel im a fan of yours,take care of your voice we are proud of you.

7. rey paran says:

charice keep up the good work,dont get nervous when you are performing,always think that you sing better than them.